Father John Varvaris convicted after hitting elderly parishioner with car in Sydney’s south

·

Father John Varvaris has been convicted after being found guilty of accidentally hitting an elderly parishioner with his car at San Souci in Sydney’s south.

According to The Daily Telegraph, Father Varvaris was driving a woman, whom he had known through his church, to her late husband’s grave for prayers on September 24, 2022. 

Upon returning her home to San Souci, the 87-year-old woman disembarked from the vehicle, only for Father Varvaris, who intended on reversing, to accidentally accelerate forward, hitting the woman who stood to the left of the car.

The woman fell face-first into a knee-high brick fence, which resulted in her obtaining life-changing injuries.

Following the incident, Father Varvaris immediately helped the woman and called triple zero, where police and paramedics then attended the scene. She was taken to St George Hospital.

st George hospital
The parishioner was taken to St George Hospital in Sydney following the incident. Photo: St George ICU.

The woman was left with a brain bleed, facial laceration and broken teeth, injuries to her eye and an ankle and foot fracture. Documents revealed that since the incident, she hasn’t been able to walk unassisted.

88-year-old Father John pled guilty to negligent driving causing grievous bodily harm on Tuesday, March 5. He appeared before Sutherland Local Court again on Tuesday, April 2.

Magistrate Philip Stewart accepted that Father John was remorseful, led a life of otherwise unblemished religious devotion and was unlikely to reoffend because he no longer held a licence.

“Father Varvaris obviously intended to put the vehicle into reverse. It is clear that he did not check that the vehicle was in reverse before pressing the accelerator and moving the car forward striking [the woman],” Mr Stewart said.

“In the circumstances, whilst there is no intention whatsoever to cause harm, there is a degree of negligence firstly by failure to check which gear the vehicle was in, and secondly by accelerating without having checked the direction the vehicle would travel in.”

The Magistrate said a conviction was required with no further penalty imposed and he was disqualified from driving for three years.

Source: The Daily Telegraph. 

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Greece to invest 25 billion euros in major defence revamp

Greece is set to invest 25 billion euros in a comprehensive defence overhaul, marking the "most drastic" transformation in its modern history.

Trump targets Australia’s beef trade in new tariff announcement

Experts are warning of rising prices for American consumers as US President Donald Trump announces sweeping reciprocal tariffs.

The Greek passport (for Aussies) debacle: Part One

For quite a while now, I've been hearing complaints from Greek Australians about long delays in obtaining a Greek passport.

Harry Mavrolefteros’ First Education wins ‘Business of the Decade’ at National Awards

First Education, founded by Harry Mavrolefteros, was awarded 'Business of the Decade' at the 2025 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Little Legs Foundation sets monopoly World Record in memory of Alegra Vasiliou

The Little Legs Foundation officially set a new Guinness World Record for the most people playing Monopoly in a single venue.

You May Also Like

Previously abandoned Olympic Airways Boeing 727 to be restored

Air Charter group Zela Aviation has acquired two abandoned Boeing 727’s with the aim of preserving a piece of aviation history in Greece.

Sydney Roosters officially open the Nick Politis Centre of Excellence

The Sydney Roosters have officially opened the Nick Politis Centre of Excellence on Tuesday, January 24 this year.

Record-breaking lethal spider in Australia named after Greek god Hercules

The largest male specimen of the world's most venomous arachnid has found a new home at the Australian Reptile Park in Sydney.