Woman fatally stabbed in Athens after seeking police protection from ex-partner

·

Greek officials on Tuesday ordered an immediate investigation into a woman’s fatal stabbing outside a police precinct in Athens, where she had just requested protection from an ex-boyfriend.

According to Fox News, the 28-year-old woman requested a patrol car to take her home for protection, however, because she declined to make a formal complaint, she was directed to contact the police via their emergency line to send a vehicle.

The statement said she made the call on her way out of the precinct. But “while she was talking to a police operator she was suddenly attacked by her former partner, who fatally injured her with a knife.”

The victim of this heinous crime was a 28-year-old woman, who was brutally murdered by her 39-year-old ex-boyfriend outside the police station, which she had visited in order to report him.
The victim of this heinous crime was the 28-year-old woman (right), who was brutally murdered by her 39-year-old ex-boyfriend (left) outside the police station, which she had visited in order to report him. Photo: Ieidiseis.gr.

The woman’s 39-year-old former partner was arrested and was being treated in a psychiatric hospital under police supervision after reportedly stabbing himself following the incident.

Greece’s President, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, expressed her shock over the killing.

“The murder … yet another femicide, shakes and angers us,” she said in a statement. “It shows … the urgent responsibility authorities have to fight gender-based violence and crime”, Sakellaropoulou said.

The police statement also declared that members of the force are trained to specifically respond to gender-based violence, following protocols “that are constantly updated.”

The Athens stabbing was the sixth femicide reported in Greece so far this year; in 2023, 15 were reported.

Source: Fox News

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian mothers named finalists in prestigious entrepreneur awards for 2021

Eight Greek mothers across Australia have been named finalists in the AusMumpreneur Awards for this year in 2021.

Dozens evacuate as Evia hit by floods, mudslides

Roads became impassable and beaches were filled with mud sliding down from nearby mountains but there have been no casualties.

Reverend Father George Liangas from Burwood features in NSW Health’s COVID campaign

Reverend Father George Liangas from St Nectarios in Burwood features in NSW Health's latest COVID-19 community languages campaign.