Tsitsipas contains Karatsev, strolls into Monte Carlo last 16

·

Stefanos Tsitsipas scored his first clay-court win of 2021 against one of the most in-form players of the season, easing past fellow Australian Open semifinalist Aslan Karatsev, 6-3, 6-4 to reach the third round of the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters.

The No. 4 seed earned a decisive break in each set and saved all break points faced on serve to advance after one hour and 24 minutes on Court Rainer III.

“I was quite aggressive today and had games where I was serving really well,” Tsitsipas told Prakash Amritraj at the Tennis Channel desk in Monte Carlo.

“It wasn’t easy playing against him, considering I haven’t played him before and I didn’t know what to expect. He started pretty strong and I could tell he really wanted this win. I pushed back and knocked him out when I had to.”

The Greek No. 1 has displayed impressive consistency to reach the quarterfinals or better in his first five ATP main-draw events—finishing runner-up to Alexander Zverev in Acapulco last month—and, ranked at his career-high of world No. 5, is surely on many short lists for Roland Garros success after making his first semifinal in Paris last fall.

Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas (top) shakes hands with Russia’s Aslan Karatsev after winning in their second round singles match on day three of the Monte-Carlo ATP 1000 Masters Series tennis tournament in Monte-Carlo, Monaco on April 13, 2021. (Photo by Valery HACHE / AFP)

A 2019 finalist and semifinalist in Madrid and Rome, respectively, the 22-year-old has sought frequent advice from three-time French Open champion Gustavo Kuerten.

“He has helped me a lot,” Tsitsipas said earlier this week. “I trust him, I feel we have things in common. I wish I could have him with me, but it is important for my career that we talk, that he can help me.”

Tsitsipas awaits the winner of John Millman and 16th seed Christian Garin for a spot in the quarter-finals. 

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

Peter Antoniou named on Young Socceroos Squad for 2026 Asean U19 Boys Championship

CommBank Young Socceroos Head Coach Trevor Morgan has selected a 23-player squad for the 2026 ASEAN U-19 Boys’ Championship.

You May Also Like

Sophie Cotsis oversees stage one completion of McCallum’s Hill Public School’s new sensory garden

Sophie Cotsis, Member for Canterbury, visited McCallum’s Hill Public School to view the stage one completion of the school’s new sensory garden.

Eve Mavrakis to receive half of Ewan McGregor’s film earnings in divorce settlement

McGregor will keep 25 of his 30 vehicles in his car collection, Mavrakis will receive their $9.22 million home.

Greek genocide memorial events to be held in Northcote

The community is invited to gather in Northcote on May 17 for the 2026 Greek Genocide commemorations honouring the victims.