Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated by Tiafoe in Wimbledon opening day shock

·

American, Frances Tiafoe, has caused the first big upset of the Wimbledon men’s singles tournament by beating third seed, Stefanos Tsitsipas, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3.

Tsitsipas, playing his first match since his French Open final defeat by Novak Djokovic on June 13, was on the backfoot from the beginning against a 57th-ranked opponent who took the game to him.

Tiafoe broke serve in the opening game and it set the tone for a match in which Tsitsipas, who had said at the weekend that he was feeling more confident on grass, showed only occasional flashes of brilliance.

He failed to convert any of his six break points.

Tiafoe went 5-4 up in the second set, after Tsitsipas saved two break points, and held his nerve when the Greek had three chances to break back.

The American broke serve again at the start of the third set, saved two break points and then had three match points on Tsitsipas’ serve to wrap things up in just over two hours. He did it on the third as Tsitsipas netted a backhand.

Stefanos Tsitsipas has once again endured a short Wimbledon campaign. Photo: Reuters/ Toby Melville.

“Today was big. I definitely needed that. That guy’s special, he’s going to do a lot of great things … but not today,” Tiafoe said at a post-match conference.

Tsitsipas also went out in the opening round on his last previous appearance at the grasscourt tournament in 2019, when he was seventh seed. Wimbledon was not played last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Greek still has the doubles to play with his younger brother Petros.

Tiafoe’s next opponent will be Spain’s Roberto Carballes Baena or Canadian Vasek Pospisil.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Greek aged care homes in Australia named finalists in Excellence Awards

The Aged & Community Care Providers Association has announced the finalists in its Excellence Awards and Greek aged care homes made the list.

Launch of new Pontic dialect tutorial is an Australian-first

The Pontian Community of Melbourne and Victoria has today announced the establishment of a Pontic dialect learning tutorial for the first time in Australia.

Multiple Greek food products continue to be exempted from US tariffs imposed on EU

On February 15, the US Department of Commerce renewed Greece’s exemption from US tariffs on the EU for specific food products, the Greek Foreign Ministry said on Monday.