Nick Kyrgios makes history at Citi Open as he sweeps the singles and doubles

·

Nick Kyrgios has become the first man in Citi Open history to sweep the singles and doubles matches in Washington.

Kyrgios won his first singles title in three years, beating Japan’s Yoshihito Nishioka last night in straight sets.

The 27-year-old took just 81 minutes to defeat Nishioka 6-4, 6-3, completing a tournament where he held serve 64 times without being broken.

It is Kyrgios’ seventh ATP title and first since he won in Washington in 2019.

Nick Kyrgios after the match. Photo by Patrick Smith/Getty Images.

After the match, Kyrgios said he had come a long way since he lost in the first round of last year’s Citi Open and admitted he had lost some of his competitive edge.

“It was emotional for me to see where I was last year to now, it’s an incredible transformation,” Kyrgios said.

“I love this court, I played so many good matches here. I’m just really happy with myself.

“There’s so many people who have helped me get there but myself, I’ve shown some serious strength to just continue and just persevere and get through those really tough times and still be able to perform in tournaments like this one.”

Kyrgios also claimed his third doubles title of the year, after defeating Ivan Dodig and Austin Krajicek in the Washington final this morning alongside American Jack Sock.

Kyrgios is now seemingly on track to secure an all-important seeding for the US Open starting on 29 August in New York ahead of big events in Montreal and Cincinnati.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Police release CCTV footage in suspected murder of Bill Frangos in Adelaide

Police have released CCTV footage of two men they believe are connected to the suspected murder of 72-year-old Bill Frangos in Adelaide.

Shootout victory sees South Melbourne take glory against rivals Melbourne Knights in FFA Cup

South Melbourne FC secured the victory spoils against long-time rivals Melbourne Knights after a nail-biting 4-1 penalty shootout victory.

Calling all youth: Enter The Greek Herald’s Christmas print cover competition

Calling all children aged 5 - 15: Please enter The Greek Herald's Christmas print cover competition by December 9.