Nick Kyrgios confirms French Open 2023 return after six years

·

Tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has confirmed he will return to play in the 2023 French Open after a six year absence.

Kyrgios has been a long time critic of the French Open, also known as Roland Garros, and once described it as the “worst” grand slam event. 

The athlete admitted the decision had nothing to do tennis and that he would prefer to stay home, but would be playing at the French Open because his girlfriend Costeen Hatzi wants to visit Paris, France. 

“Yes, I’m playing the French Open, my girlfriend wants to see Paris, so why not?” Kyrgios told The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH). “It will be good for me to earn some more money, although I would have preferred to stay at home.”

Kyrgios has previously said he doesn’t enjoy playing on clay-court tournaments, preferring to focus his strength on the grass court seasons.

The tennis player has never progressed beyond the third round at the French Open but is still confident he can get great results on clay.

“I’ve played well on clay, I’ve beaten [Roger] Federer, [Stan] Wawrinka, I’ve played a final on clay [at Estoril in 2015],” Kyrgios told The SMH.

Photo: Tennis World

“But usually at that time of year, I like spending time at home. Because if I don’t, then I’m traveling for eight months a year, it’s too much.” 

Kyrgios and his girlfriend Hatzi have been together for a year.

“I’ll easily take time with my family and my girlfriend and enjoy experiences around the world and earn that type of money rather than play a week away in something where I wouldn’t be able to be with my girlfriend and I’m not getting paid that well,” he concluded.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

READ MORE: Nick Kyrgios: Australian public’s lack of ‘respect’ behind Davis Cup snub.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Community rallies together to support the Foundation for Hellenic Studies at UNSW

The Foundation for Hellenic Studies at UNSW held a fundraiser at the Hermes Lounge in Kogarah, Sydney on Sunday, July 15.

Greek Australian Cultural League celebrates successful opening of Antipodean Palette 2024

With great success the Greek Australian Cultural League and its guests celebrated the opening of the Antipodean Palette on Saturday, July 13.

GOCSA issue statement to mark 50th anniversary of Turkish invasion of Cyprus

The Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia has issued a statement to mark the 50th anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

Melbourne Victory Academy head Joe Palatsides leaves for role abroad

Melbourne Victory can confirm its Head of Academy and VPL1 Head Coach Joe Palatsides is departing to coach a major European club.

George Calombaris’ stint at Sydney’s Alpha restaurant ends after only five months

George Calombaris' stint as creative partner at popular Sydney Greek restaurant Alpha has come to an end after only five months.

You May Also Like

NSW records 89 new local COVID-19 cases, one death

NSW has recorded 89 new locally-acquired cases of the virus, with 75 linked to a known case or cluster and 21 infectious in the community.

Dimitris Papadakis’ daring escape to Crete after war breaks out in Greece in 1940

Dimitris Papadakis shares with The Greek Herald his daring escape to Crete after war breaks out in Greece in 1940.

Greek government planning 1.8 billion euros in relief for middle class

As part of its bid to lighten the load of the Greek middle class, in line with its pre-election pledges last year, the conservative...