Nick Kyrgios confirms French Open 2023 return after six years

·

Tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has confirmed he will return to play in the 2023 French Open after a six year absence.

Kyrgios has been a long time critic of the French Open, also known as Roland Garros, and once described it as the “worst” grand slam event. 

The athlete admitted the decision had nothing to do tennis and that he would prefer to stay home, but would be playing at the French Open because his girlfriend Costeen Hatzi wants to visit Paris, France. 

“Yes, I’m playing the French Open, my girlfriend wants to see Paris, so why not?” Kyrgios told The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH). “It will be good for me to earn some more money, although I would have preferred to stay at home.”

Kyrgios has previously said he doesn’t enjoy playing on clay-court tournaments, preferring to focus his strength on the grass court seasons.

The tennis player has never progressed beyond the third round at the French Open but is still confident he can get great results on clay.

“I’ve played well on clay, I’ve beaten [Roger] Federer, [Stan] Wawrinka, I’ve played a final on clay [at Estoril in 2015],” Kyrgios told The SMH.

Photo: Tennis World

“But usually at that time of year, I like spending time at home. Because if I don’t, then I’m traveling for eight months a year, it’s too much.” 

Kyrgios and his girlfriend Hatzi have been together for a year.

“I’ll easily take time with my family and my girlfriend and enjoy experiences around the world and earn that type of money rather than play a week away in something where I wouldn’t be able to be with my girlfriend and I’m not getting paid that well,” he concluded.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

READ MORE: Nick Kyrgios: Australian public’s lack of ‘respect’ behind Davis Cup snub.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

Sydney to host official Greek Language Certificate exams at Macquarie University

The examinations for the Certificate of Attainment in the Greek language in Sydney will take place at Macquarie University.

Democracy and fascism: Yanis Varoufakis in conversation at Greek Festival of Sydney

The Greek Festival of Sydney has announced it will be hosting economist, politician and bestselling author Yanis Varoufakis.

Council responds after parking fines spark backlash at St Charalambos Greek Festival

Dozens of parking fines issued during the St Charalambos Greek Festival in Templestowe have sparked anger among attendees and organisers.

You May Also Like

Migrants jailed for detention centre riot

Greek authorities say two Afghan men have been jailed for six years and nine months each after being convicted of participating in riots this week

Greek and Indigenous languages among new translations for Australian rock album

Australian rock band, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, have announced 11 new translations for their new album Butterfly 3000.

Hamas hands over two more hostage bodies as Israel presses for full return

The Red Cross has received the bodies of two additional hostages from Hamas, bringing the total number of remains returned to nine out of 28.