Nick Kyrgios calls for the Australian Open to be scrapped next year

·

Australian tennis star, Nick Kyrgios, has called for the Australian Open to be cancelled next year out of respect to Melburnians who endured multiple COVID-19 lockdowns over the last two years of the pandemic.

“I don’t think the Aus Open should go ahead, just for the people in Melbourne – you’ve got to send a message,” Kyrgios said on his No Boundaries podcast.

“How long did [Melbourne] do in lockdown? 275 days or something?”

Victorian Premier, Daniel Andrews, is currently holding firm on a refusal to grant exemptions to unvaccinated players to take part in next year’s Australian Open. This has cast doubt over the availability of the likes of Novak Djokovic, who refuses to reveal his vaccination status.

Most of last year’s Australian Open games were held without crowds.

But Kyrgios, who has held strong opinions on Djokovic’s antics throughout the pandemic, showed some sympathy towards the world No.1 and described mandatory vaccination for tennis players as “morally wrong.”

“[Melbourne-born Brooklyn Nets NBA star] Kyrie [Irving], Novak … These guys have given so much, sacrificed so much. They are global athletes who millions of people look up to,” Kyrgios said.

“I just think it is so morally wrong to force someone to be vaccinated.

Djokovic at the Australian Open this year.

“I’m double vaccinated, but I just don’t think it’s right to force anyone [to be vaccinated] and say ‘you can’t come and play here because you’re not vaccinated’.”

Kyrgios said that tennis players should get tested for COVID-19 every day instead.

“In the States I know they’ve got rapid tests, and it’s coming to Australia. It’s 85% success rate, you wait 15 minutes and then you’re allowed to play,” he said.

The Australian Open is set to take place in Melbourne next January.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Oakleigh Grammar students shine at annual Techné 2025 Arts and Design Exhibition

Oakleigh Grammar hosted its annual Arts and Design Exhibition, Techné 2025, celebrating the creativity, innovation, and talent of students.

Joe Palatsides joins CommBank Matildas as Assistant Coach

Joe Palatsides has been appointed Assistant Coach of the CommBank Matildas, as part of a strategic refresh of the team’s technical staff.

Teary eyes as Victorians mark anniversary of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus

The Greek and Cypriot community gathered in Victoria to commemorate the 49th anniversary of the 1974 Turkish invasion of Cyprus.