Kokkinakis triumphs as Kyrgios makes early exit at Australian Open 2025

·

The Australian Open 2025 has commenced with contrasting outcomes for local favourites Thanasi Kokkinakis and Nick Kyrgios.

Kokkinakis showcased remarkable resilience in his opening match, overcoming multiple injury issues to secure a victory over Russia’s Roman Safiullin. The gruelling encounter lasted over four hours, with Kokkinakis prevailing 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).

Reflecting on his performance, Kokkinakis said the crowd lifted him to victory.

“You guys willed me through. I was struggling there, I was cooked,” he said in his on-court interview.

“I tweaked something but I took some pain killers and battled through, as I had to pull out of Adelaide and didn’t want to pull out here. I’m super happy to get another crazy win.”

In contrast, Kyrgios faced a challenging return to Grand Slam tennis, succumbing to Britain’s Jacob Fearnley in straight sets: 7-6(3), 6-3, 7-6(2).

Kyrgios, who has been battling injuries, hinted at a potential shift in his career focus, suggesting this might be his final singles appearance at the Australian Open.

He remarked, “I can’t probably see myself playing singles matches here again.”

Despite his singles loss, Kyrgios remains committed to the doubles competition, where he will reunite with Kokkinakis. The duo, affectionately known as the ‘Special Ks’, previously clinched the Australian Open men’s doubles title in 2022 and are eager to replicate their success.

Source: 7 News and Nine News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

St George College hosts Greek military delegation for Battle of Crete commemorations

St George College has welcomed a military delegation from Greece as part of the 85th Anniversary Commemorations of the Battle of Crete.

Adelaide’s Pontian community honours the memory of the victims of the Genocide

Adelaide’s Pontian and wider Greek community gathered on Sunday to commemorate Pontian Greek Genocide Commemoration Day 2026.

‘From Genocide to Regeneration’ presented in Melbourne for first time

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia and the Sts Anargiri Greek Language Centre co-hosted a successful presentation.

‘We are custodians of memory’: Melbourne marks Greek Genocide remembrance day

Melbourne paused in solemn unity on Sunday morning as the Pontian Greek Genocide was commemorated with a wreath-laying service.

You May Also Like

Cypriot and Turkish Presidents discuss the Cyprus issue

Cypriot President, Nicos Anastasiades and Recep Tayyip Erdogan, exchanged views on the Cyprus issue during a NATO working dinner in Madrid.

Greek Australians named among 30 most powerful people in NSW horse racing

John Vellis and Peter V'landys have been named among the top 30 most powerful people in the New South Wales racing industry.

Winners announced for The Greek Herald’s OXI Day competition

More than 50 young people, aged 10 to 17, participated in The Greek Herald's OXI Day 80th anniversary competition.