‘I didn’t want it to end’: Australia reacts to new documentary retelling iconic Women’s World Cup victory

·

86,174 fans. A crowd this large had never been seen before in a women’s cricket match in Australia. But on March 8, in line with International Women’s Day, this crowd became witness to one of the greatest accomplishments in Australian women’s sport.

A new two-part documentary following the Australian Women’s Cricket Team’s experience through the 2020 T20 World Cup series, titled The Record, was released last week. The documentary offers a behind-the-scenes look at the journey to the World Cup final and the bold, four-year effort to set a new world record for attendance at a women’s sporting event.

The project was undertaken by Her Films, headed by producer Nicole Minchin and journalist Angela Pippos.

“When Ange was talking to me about women in sport, it just felt like a whole world opened up to me that I didn’t know existed, which was really exciting,” Angela Pippos said to the Sydney Morning Herald.

“I think it’s the equality that resonated with Nic – that these stories have really been ignored, and we wanted to celebrate sportswomen and tell their stories in a creative and interesting way.”

The documentary details everything from the rocky rainy weather experienced on the semi-final day, to the ultimate culmination of women’s team rising the trophy high above their heads in celebration of their victory.

The founder of Ladies Who Legspin and Ladies Who League, Mary Konstantopoulos, described the 2020 tournament as a day “we will never forget”.

“This was a night that set a new benchmark and ensured that the next generation of men and women will hear different messages about the power of women’s sport,” Mary Konstantopoulos said in her review of the documentary.

“My hope for the Australian Women’s cricket team is that this documentary will act like a time capsule for them.”

The Record is streaming now on Amazon Prime.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Overseas travel in early 2021 ‘challenging, not impossible,’ says Tourism Minister

Federal Tourism Minister, Simon Birmingham, says it's not impossible that international travel could be back on the cards next year.

Greece leads athlete parade along Seine at Paris Olympics’ historic opening ceremony

The Greek Olympic team led the athlete parade along the Seine River during the Paris Olympic Games opening ceremony on Friday, July 26.

The 15+1 top stories of 2021 as decided by The Greek Herald’s readers

From celebrations for the Greek Revolution bicentenary to a 104-year-old living Anzac, here is TGH's list of the 15+1 most-read stories.