Football Australia’s National Second Tier: What’s next for expansion and promotion?

·

Football Australia has officially unveiled the Australian Championship, the rebranded National Second Tier (NST), set to launch in October 2025. The competition, featuring 16 teams – eight foundation clubs and eight invited clubs – has been designed to bridge the gap between the National Premier Leagues (NPL) and the A-League.

However, one of the most pressing questions from journalists during a media briefing with Football Australia officials on Wednesday, February 12, was about the long-term vision for promotion and relegation between the competitions – a concept that has been hotly debated in Australian football for years.

A-League promotion: No clear timeline

When asked about the future of promotion and relegation, Football Australia CEO James Johnson reiterated that the Australian Championship is already incorporating “sporting merit” by allowing eight teams from the NPL to qualify each season.

“There is a connection. There is access between the Australian Championship and the NPL. You’ve got eight guaranteed slots and eight that are opened and can be accessed through sporting merit, which is what, ultimately, promotion and relegation is,” Johnson said.

However, he stopped short of committing to a formal promotion-relegation system with the A-League, stating that the focus is on making the competition a success first.

“We want to ensure that we’re getting and helping the clubs get the fans at the stadiums. We want to create a buzz around this model… How it evolves over time will depend on the success of this season,” Johnson said.

The Football Australia CEO also confirmed that A-League clubs had been consulted and were supportive of the new competition.

national second tier
The eight Foundation Clubs have already been announced and include both South Melbourne FC and Sydney Olympic FC.

Clarifying financial requirements:

Another key issue raised was the financial burden on clubs. The Greek Herald asked about the rationale behind the mandatory $500,000 bank guarantee, particularly given the competition’s shift away from a standalone home-and-away model. The Bank Guarantee was required by the eight Foundation Clubs and revealed by South Melbourne FC in an open letter.

Football Australia responded by reinforcing the importance of the bank guarantee.

“The Bank Guarantee remains a mandatory threshold for participation in a future standalone National Second Tier league. It also secures automatic access to this year’s Australian Championship and exemption from the third NST Request for Proposal process commencing April 2025,” the organisation said in a statement.

Broadcast deal: Positive signs for the future

One of the most encouraging developments for the Australian Championship is its broadcasting plans.

When asked about media coverage, Football Australia confirmed that a major broadcast announcement is expected in the coming months, with officials hinting at a groundbreaking deal.

This suggests Football Australia is confident in securing strong commercial backing, which could be a crucial factor in growing the competition.

Hope for the future: A step towards professionalisation

Despite concerns over promotion-relegation and financial sustainability, Football Australia remains optimistic about the long-term future of the Australian Championship.

  • The competition is expected to increase club professionalism by providing a higher-level playing environment than the NPL.
  • Future changes – including the transition to a full home-and-away league – will be based on the success of the first edition.

“We think there is a market for this competition,” Johnson said. “When we talk about the Australian Championship, it’s one of our most engaging topics—almost at the level of the Socceroos. If we can harness that interest and emotion, we can grow the competition.”

While promotion to the A-League remains off the table for now, the establishment of the Australian Championship marks a historic step towards a more structured, national football pyramid. Its success in 2024-25 will be critical in determining how quickly the next evolution of the second tier takes place.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Greece and Australia ranked among the top ten most powerful passports for 2021

Greece and Australia have ranked in the top ten most powerful passports in the world for 2021, according to the Henley Passport Index.

Pressure on Victorian ALP’s Steve Staikos after Peter Dutton meme backlash

The Coalition has demanded consequences for Victoria's ALP state secretary, Steve Staikos, after a personal meme targeting Peter Dutton.

Year 12 students invited to VCE Modern Greek Seminar in Melbourne

The Modern Greek Teachers’ Association of Victoria (MGTAV) announced the return of the VCE Modern Greek Seminar for Year 12 students.