EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons terminated due to COVID-19 pandemic

·

Europe’s top two club basketball competitions have been terminated this season without naming any winners due to the COVID-19 pandemic, organisers EuroLeague Basketball said on Monday.

“Having explored every possible option, the Executive Board has made the decision to cancel the 2019-20 EuroLeague and EuroCup,” the organising body said on its official Twitter account.

The statement added that the 2020-21 EuroLeague and EuroCup seasons will start on October 1 and September 30 respectively, with the same 18 teams that contested this season’s EuroLeague also competing in the next campaign.

Panathinaikos BC OPAP were one of the teams against the complete suspension of the EuroLeague. Source: Sportime.

The two competitions were indefinitely postponed on March 12 and the statement said clubs, players and all stakeholders had been willing to resume action but were unable to do so due to concerns over the health and safety of athletes and staff.

“Without a doubt, this is the most difficult decision we have had to take in our 20-year history,” said EuroLeague’s president and chief executive, Jordi Bertomeu.

“Due to reasons beyond our control, we have been forced to cut short the most successful and exciting season in European basketball history.”

According to media reports, Panathinaikos BC OPAP was one of the teams against the complete suspension of the tournaments, citing a reduction in revenue.

“There are now doubts as to whether we will continue to co-operate with the events in the coming years,” former President of Panathinaikos OPAP, Dimitris Giannakopoulos, told the organising committee of EuroLeague.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Council on the Ageing Victoria’s CEO Chris Potaris steps down

Council on the Ageing (COTA) Victoria and Seniors Rights Victoria CEO, Chris Potaris, has stepped down from the role. Read more here.

Alexia Apostolakis debuts for Matildas in narrow defeat to Panama

Greek Australian teenager Alexia Apostolakis made her senior debut for the CommBank Matildas on Saturday. Read more here.

‘A classy act’: Philhellene, Stephen Fry, on returning the Parthenon Marbles to Greece

Acclaimed actor, comedian and Philhellene, Stephen Fry, addressed Greek Australians during a special 'In Conversation' webinar on Friday.