Drew Pavlou calls on Tennis Australia to hold minute silence for Peng Shuai at Australian Open

·

Drew Pavlou is behind a massive campaign to hand out free ‘Where is Peng Shuai?’ t-shirts at the Australian Open women’s final on Saturday, after Tennis Australia confiscated shirts and banners emblazoned with the message earlier this week.

A gofundme page set up to raise funds to print more T-shirts has already reached over $20,000, with Mr Pavlou and other activists now expanding their protest to offer yellow ribbons to attendees as well.

Mr Pavlou told The Herald Sun that the ribbons would allow the activists to spread their protest wider in case some fans did not want to wear the T-shirts.

In addition to this, Mr Pavlou has also written to Tennis Australia “to request they hold a minute silence for Peng Shuai before the Australian Open Women’s Final on Saturday.”

“If they agree to a minute’s silence we will drop all legal action over the original illegal attempt to silence protests,” Mr Pavlou said on Facebook.

At the time of writing, Mr Pavlou had not yet received a response from the organisation.

Concerns remain for Shuai, a Chinese player who disappeared after she made a sexual assault claim against a former high-ranking Communist Party official in November. Shuai has since been seen briefly in what was described as a “hostage” video.

Peng Shuai’s disappearance has received global attention. Picture: AFP.

On Monday, Tennis Australia released a statement saying Peng’s safety was its “primary concern.”

The statement went on to say the Australian Open had a “longstanding policy of not allowing banners, signs or clothing that are commercial or political.”

“On this occasion, the security guard was simply enforcing this policy and while we have reviewed this and are happy to welcome the patron back to Melbourne Park, the policy will continue to be applied in relation to any items that compromise the safety and comfort of AO fans,” the statement said.

Source: The Herald Sun.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Imbros and Gallipoli: Melbourne’s Imvrian Society to launch new exhibition

The Imvrians’ Society of Melbourne will launch a new exhibition on how Imvros was involved in the Gallipoli campaign and the Anzacs.

Full-circle as Throwback officially opens its new headquarters in the former Sydney Kings home

A powerful moment of heritage, culture and community was celebrated on Wednesday night as Throwback, opened its new 2,000-square-metre HQ.

Oakleigh Grammar students commemorate OXI Day

Oakleigh Grammar students have proudly participated in community commemorations honouring those who fought and sacrificed.