Boxer George Kambosos Jr. secures legal claim to IBF over music video app Triller

·

George Kambosos Junior, 28, has convinced boxing governing body, the IBF, to declare that video social networking site Triller has defaulted the terms of their $8.3 million purse bid to host his unified lightweight clash with Teófimó López.

The IBF made a decision over the weekend to transfer the broadcast rights – and about US$10 million in lost expenses – from Triller to Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Sports, the next highest bidder.

“It was a great decision by the IBF. Triller was in default of the contract so now Matchroom has picked up the event and they will be promoting the fight,” he says.

The fight is now slated for November 13, but Kambosos says he’d “be ready today if the fight was on.”

Teófimó Lopez and George Kambosos (right) started promoting their fight in April but still don’t know when they’ll fight.(Getty Images: Al Bello for Triller)

“I was never ripping anyone off. Triller said I tried to shake them down. What do they think I am, part of the mafia or something?” Kambosos says.

“It’s been pretty stressful. At the end of the day, I will walk away with about $2.2 million which is life-changing.” 

“It is a great reward for all the hard work. This money sets up my wife and three kids for the future, but I’m really here for the legacy and these beautiful belts which I will be bringing home to Australia.”

Video social networking site Triller won the bid to host Teófimó Lopez’s clash against Kambosos in February but the match has been riddled with delays, in small part due to COVID-19 restrictions. 

Kambosos, 28, continues to train in Sydney.

“I train extremely hard. There is no other athlete in the country that puts his body through hell like I do. I have a very strict routine. I put my body through mass amounts of pain and sacrifice to make sure when I rock up to the fight, that I’m 100 percent ready for whatever my opponent brings.

“The Triller stuff is history, but the good thing is they have given me mainstream exposure around the world because of this drama.

“When my name is in the lights in the US, I’m the face of Australian boxing.”

Source: Daily Telegraph

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

AI artist Dimitrii becomes breakout star for rejected creator

A Melbourne creator who spent decades facing rejection in the entertainment industry has unexpectedly broken through thanks to AI persona.

Theo James draws on Greek family history to urge Korean support for refugees

For actor and UNHCR goodwill ambassador Theo James, the global refugee crisis is rooted in a personal story.

Alex Mangos brings mango season to Christmas in Oran Park

Alex Mangos has given his usual Christmas setup a tropical makeover this year, marking the arrival of mango season with a playful twist.

Greece draws wealth: Over 1,200 millionaires expected to relocate in 2025

Recent arrivals-from Novak Djokovic to investors like Richard Xiao and Tom Greenwood-reflect a broader pattern.

You May Also Like

Greek fire officers conclude successful study visit with Fire and Rescue NSW

A delegation of fire officers from Hellenic Fire Corps Headquarters has concluded a highly successful study visit to Australia.

Plans for a Global Centre of Pontian Hellenism unveiled in Athens

A Global Centre of Pontian Hellenism is set to be built on the site of the former airport at Elliniko in southern Athens.

Migrants moved from Greek border amid coronavirus pandemic

Turkish authorities have evacuated thousands of migrants who had been waiting at the border with Greece hoping to make their way into Europe