Andy Marinos reportedly leading race to become Rugby Australia CEO

·

SANZAAR boss Andy Marinos is in the box seat to become the next chief executive of Rugby Australia as the search for a full-time successor to Raelene Castle nears completion, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Multiple industry sources familiar with the recruitment process said Marinos, who has led SANZAAR since 2015, was the leading candidate for the top job, which was left vacant when Castle departed after a falling-out with the board in April. Rob Clarke has filled the CEO’s role on an interim basis since then.

RA chairman Hamish McLennan is nearing a decision on a permanent replacement. He is expected to seek approval from the board to sign off on the new chief executive before the end of the year.

Marinos was one of several candidates in the running and fits the profile McLennan and his board have been searching for – an executive with experience in the sport and who understands how to manage relationships with broadcasters.

Other candidates in the mix included former NRL chief Todd Greenberg, former Cricket NSW CEO Andrew Jones, and Chris White, the boss of sport branding and sponsorship company International Quarterback.

The sources stressed that no deal had been signed and there were still other candidates in the mix but said Marinos was in a final round of meetings with key stakeholders.

Marinos, while representing Wales during his professional career, was nicknamed ‘The Greek’ among his teammates. He has spent his career working in rugby in Australia and South Africa and has experience leading a commercial and marketing division – an area former advertising executives McLennan and Clarke consider hugely important for growing the code’s fanbase.

He also worked closely with Clarke during rugby’s broadcast rights negotiations this year. Rugby sources indicated that new broadcast partners Nine Entertainment Co (owner of this masthead) and subscription service Stan were impressed by his efforts.

Nine and Stan signed a three-year $100 million deal with RA in early November.

The appointment of a CEO to Rugby Australia would mark an end to a difficult but significant year for the rugby union.

Sourced By: Sydney Morning Herald

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

‘The Aegean’ film in the mix for the 2025 AACTA Awards

The Australian independent film The Aegean is making waves in the 2025 AACTA Awards, securing nominations in major categories.

Yanis Varoufakis delivers keynote address at HACCI SA event

HACCI SA held a sold-out event with a keynote address by prominent economist and former Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis.

Marcus Stoinis dropped from Australia’s T20 squad ahead of West Indies tour

Veteran all-rounder Marcus Stoinis has been dropped from Australia’s T20 squad for the upcoming series against the West Indies in July.