‘Absolutely unacceptable’: Man arrested over horrific referee attack in Sydney

·

A 25-year-old man has been arrested over a horrific attack on a Sydney referee that was captured on camera, according to news.com.au.

NSW Police have confirmed they are continuing to investigate an incident on Friday night, where a referee was allegedly assaulted at a Bankstown District Premier League match between the Greenacre Eagles and Padstow Hornets.

Khodr Yaghi, a referee of 24 years, was acting as a linesman when the Eagles took on the Padstow Hornets in south-west Sydney. The match finished at about 10.30pm and Greenacre lost 5-1.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald (SMH), Mr Yaghi said the alleged attacker was a player who was attending as a spectator because he had been suspended for an unrelated incident.

Mr Yaghi suffered a broken jaw and had four teeth knocked out as a result of the attack. He is being treated after being taken to Liverpool Hospital in south west Sydney.

The attack was captured on film. Picture: news.com.au.

The Greenacre Eagles condemned the violence and withdrew the team – its top men’s team – from the competition for the rest of the season.

The incident renewed questions over clubs’ ability to deal with spectator violence and intensified concerns about disrespect putting people off becoming referees.

NSW Minister for Sport, Steve Kamper MP, said the incident was “absolutely unacceptable.”

“All referees and all players should feel safe wherever they’re participating in local sport,” Mr Kamper said.

Nick Kambounias, the chairman of Football Canterbury, told the SMH violent incidents involving suspended players were rare.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald and news.com.au.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

On this day ten years ago, journalist Sokratis Giolias was gunned down in Greece

Just outside of his home in Athens, investigative journalist Sokratis Giolias was shot dead, allegedly by leftist militants.

Forum Group creditor’s report: $353 million in debts and little hope of recovery

The company that alleged fraudster Bill Papas planned to list on the ASX was woefully unprofitable, according to a creditor's report.

Greek Australian CEOs sleep rough and raise funds to combat homelessness

Greek Australian CEOs slept rough last night for the Vinnies CEO Sleepout and raised money to combat homelessness in Australia.