Olympic torch relay in Greece suspended as it passes through Sparta

·

The Greek Olympic committee says it is suspending the rest of its torch relay because of the “unexpectedly large crowd” that gathered to watch despite repeated requests for the public to stay away to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

The Hellenic Olympic Committee says a large crowd had gathered to watch the flame for the Tokyo Olympics pass through the southern Greek town of Sparta.

The flame was lit Thursday at the birthplace of the games in Ancient Olympia in a pared-down ceremony.

Read More: Tokyo Olympic flame begins journey in Greece amid virus precautions

The committee says it took “the difficult but essential decision to cancel the rest of the program of the flame relay on Greek territory.”

It says the decision was taken in coordination with the health ministry and the International Olympic Committee.

The handover of the Olympic Flame to the Tokyo organising committee will go ahead as scheduled on March 19 at the stadium in Athens where the first modern Olympics were held in 1896.

Sourced by: Associated Press

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Chanel Contos receives prestigious Diana Award

24-year-old activist, Chanel Contos, has joined 180 young changemakers in receiving the prestigious Diana Award earlier this week.

South Melbourne FC qualify for first Grand Final in six years

South Melbourne FC have qualified for their first 2022 National Premier's League Victoria Grand Final since 2016.

Agiasmos Service marks new year for NSW GO Youth fellowships

His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia led the Sanctification Service (Agiasmos) to mark the start of the new year of activities.