Greek Foreign Minister asserts ‘borders don’t change’ following Evros border claims by Turkey

·

After a Turkish ploy to claim a patch of the Evros River’s southern section, Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias confirmed that the extension of the border fence across the Evros River will continue and will be completed.

Speaking with Kathimerini, Dendias dismissed the “misinformation” that a Greek patch in the region of Evros was occupied by Turkish forces.

“Borders are a given. They do not change and they cannot change,” Dendias said to Kathimerini.

The issue came to fruition after Turkey lodged a demarche seeking information on the coordinates of Greece’s fence extension for the Evros border.

Greece confirms that the metal fence will be completed. Photo: Archyde

Athens, Dendias said, rejected the Turkish request with a demarche of its own, “as what we do within the limits of our national sovereignty is our privilege and responsibility and we are not obliged to give account to anyone.”

Greece, he said, then lodged a fresh demarche after Turkish activity was detected in the region.

“From then on, an unacceptable spread of misinformation took place, about the occupation of, for example, 1.6 hectares of Greek territory,” Dendias said.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis denied press reports that Turkey had invaded Greek land in the northeastern Evros area, echoing statements from Ankara that there were technical issues that needed to be resolved.

“There is no border dispute,” Mitsotakis said in a pre-recorded interview with Greek broadcaster Star on Monday. Turkey had become nervous about Greece’s decision to build the fence, but it was “our inalienable right to do it and we’ll do it”, he said.

Mitsotakis said Greece would prevent swathes of migrants from entering the country, whatever Turkey’s policy.

“We are not going to accept a policy of mass inflows. Protecting our borders and European borders is an acqui,” he said.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

Aaron Zerefos Enterprises acquires Fresco Beverages 

Aaron Zerefos has announced the acquisition of the Fresco Beverages business, enhancing his hold on the Australian drink distribution market. 

Feros Group to take over premier waterfront venue in Darling Harbour

The Feros Group has announced they now own and operate the iconic Helm Bar & Bistro in Sydney's Darling Harbour.

You May Also Like

Dr Peter Alexakis faces court after patient leaves him massive fortune

Raymond McClure developed a close bond to Dr Peter Alexakis, ultimately deciding to leave him 90% of his $30m estate.

Ukraine’s Zelenskyy seeks resolve with Trump after US aid pause 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy extended an olive branch to US President Donald Trump following a tense exchange last week.

Erdogan says Turkey will claim its rights in East Med

Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, issued new threats against Greece referring indirectly to Kastellorizo during a speech on Monday.