EU funds Turkish military vessels harassing Greece

·

A European Commissioner has recently revealed that the European Union has purchased equipment for the Turkish armed forces, which is now being used to make repeated provocative moves against Greece.

Oliver Varhelyi, the European Commissioner for Neighborhood and Enlargement, has confirmed that the bloc purchased four vessels for the Turkish Coast Guard as part of the EU and Turkey’s Joint Declaration on the Refugee Crisis.

According to a report by Proto Thema, the vessel purchases were made last year as part of an EU initiative to “ensure proper border management with the aim of securing and protecting refugees, the local population, and ultimately, Turks and European citizens.”

European Commissioner for Neighborhood and Enlargement, Oliver Varhelyi, confirms funding was provided to Turkey for military vessels. Source: MNA.

In addition to the vessels, Varhelyi confirmed that the EU has also funded the purchase of armoured vehicles and surveillance equipment for Turkey to be used as part of its border security efforts.

“Flying border surveillance equipment, surveillance radars and thermal cameras were also purchased, with most of this equipment already delivered,” Varhelyi said.

“The Commission will continue to monitor the situation to ensure that all previous commitments are honoured.”

Nikos Androulakis, an MEP from Greece, responded to these comments overnight, expressing his concern that the European Union will continue to fund purchases for the Turkish Armed Forces and security forces.

“While it is unacceptable for (Turkish President) Erdogan to use refugees and migrants as a means to blackmail Europe, the Commission continues to fund purchases for the Turkish Armed Forces and security forces,” Androulakis said in a statement concerning the issue.

“Especially after the events in Evros, where the entire European leadership visited the Greek border and saw the magnitude of the threat to European security from Turkey’s actions, the Hungarian Commissioner cannot be indifferent and continue such programs normally.

“Turkey must stop receiving money from the Pre-Accession Assistance Fund, especially for projects related to the purchase of equipment for the Turkish security forces. Immediate explanations are needed from the European Commission regarding this policy.”

Greek MEP, Nikos Androulakis, has responded to reports coming out of the EU. Source: News Beezer.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Djokovic triumphs in first Greek appearance

Novak Djokovic made a winning debut in Greece, defeating Chile’s Alejandro Tabilo at the Vanda Pharmaceuticals Hellenic Championship.

Pharos Alliance launches Student Survey that aims to revitalise Greek language in Australia

The Pharos Alliance is inviting students to participate in a survey aimed at revitalising Modern Greek language in Australia.

Organisations to secure grants for 2021 NSW Seniors Festival

NSW organisations which help older people get active and connected have the chance to share in the $200,000 NSW Seniors Festival Grants Program.