Yanis Varoufakis defends Adelaide Writers’ Week withdrawal as censorship row deepens

·

Former Greek finance minister and author Yanis Varoufakis has defended his withdrawal from Adelaide Writers’ Week as a necessary stand against censorship, as the controversy deepens with the resignation of the festival’s director and a mass boycott by writers.

Varoufakis pulled out of the festival in protest over the removal of Palestinian-Australian author Randa Abdel-Fattah, a decision he said reflected political intimidation rather than genuine concern for community cohesion.

Responding to criticism from a Greek Australian reader who described his decision as “appalling,” Varoufakis rejected claims that Abdel-Fattah had promoted violence or hatred.

“…Randa Abdel-Fattah never called for the elimination of a people,” he wrote. “Had she done so, I too would have refused to share a platform with her at the Adelaide Writers Week or anywhere else for that matter.”

Varoufakis argued that Abdel-Fattah’s remarks had been mischaracterised, likening her critique of Zionism to historical opposition to apartheid.

“Like successive Australian governments were calling for years for the elimination of the South African Apartheid state, Randa wished for an end of the ‘Zionist colony’ in Palestine,” he said, adding that her call was for “equality before the law independently of one’s religion, ethnicity or creed.”

The fallout has intensified today when Louise Adler, director of Adelaide Writers’ Week, resigned in protest. In an open letter published in The Guardian, Adler said the decision to cancel Abdel-Fattah’s appearance was made by the Adelaide Festival Board despite her “strongest opposition.”

More than 180 invited participants have now withdrawn from Writers’ Week, including former New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern, along with prominent writers and journalists such as Trent Dalton, Peter Greste, Hannah Kent and Evelyn Araluen.

Abdel-Fattah had been scheduled to discuss her novel Discipline, set during Ramadan. The festival board said it was “not culturally sensitive” to proceed with her appearance so soon after the Bondi Beach terror attack in December, while stressing it was not suggesting any connection between her work and the incident.

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas has backed the board’s decision, citing Abdel-Fattah’s history of anti-Israel and anti-Zionist social media posts.

Varoufakis, however, said the broader implications for free expression were impossible to ignore.

“If you do care about Australian values and institutions, you should be appalled,” he wrote in response to the reader’s letter. “I am glad to have withdrawn from this year’s AWW in a bid to help save it.”

The controversy has reignited debate about artistic freedom, censorship and the growing influence of risk management and commercial considerations on arts programming, as Adelaide Writers’ Week prepares to begin on February 27.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

‘State of emergency’ not over on Evros border, Minister says

Citizens’ Protection Minister Michalis Chrysochoidis joined his Defence counterpart Nikos Panagiotopoulos on visit to Greek-Turkish border area of Evros.

Hellenic women in business in South Australia tell their stories

Five entrepreneurial women from SA spoke about their career path in the business world at an event run by HACCI SA.

Honouring the heroes of Crete and Greece: 84th anniversary marked in Canberra

The 84th anniversary of the Battle of Crete was marked with solemnity at the Australian-Hellenic Memorial in Canberra.