Westpac slams Bill Papas evidence, Sydney tycoon pleads for cash to fly to Australia

·

Bill Papas, the man at the centre of nearly $400 million worth of fraud allegations by major Australian and global banks, has been accused of lying in a sworn affidavit, The Australian Financial Review reports.

Mr Papas filed three affidavits in the Federal Court on Friday morning after repeated demands to do so over the last month, but Jeremy Giles, SC, representing Westpac, immediately accused Mr Papas of lying after his first review of the documents.

READ MORE: Japanese giant latest bank tied to Bill Papas’ Westpac fraud scandal.

“We simply don’t accept that as an accurate statement, and we will in due course lead evidence of payments out of the Forum Group Financial Services account to Mazcon of circa $2 million in mid-June this year,” Mr Giles said, according to the AFR.

READ MORE: Liquidators appointed to Bill Papas’ troubled Forum group of companies.

An interim suppression order was granted over Mr Papas’ affidavits until a hearing at midday this Wednesday to argue whether they would be suppressed.

This latest news comes as Mr Papas made representations to his lawyers that he intended to return to Australia from Thessaloniki, but has since claimed he had a positive COVID-19 test and is now unable to return because of a lack of funds and limited flight availability.

READ MORE: Alleged fraudster Bill Papas spotted in Thessaloniki.

Bill Papas and Louise Agostino are holed up in an apartment near the Thessaloniki seaside in northern Greece. Photo: The Australian Financial Review.

“He can’t get a flight without money, and flights are limited because of the increase in the cap on arrivals,” Mr Papas’ barrister, Jim Johnson, told the court on July 28.

The whereabouts of Mr Papas had proved a mystery until that point as Westpac began to uncover an alleged fraud involving funds it had extended to companies in the Forum group that they believed were on behalf of the bank’s blue chip clients.

Source: The Australian Financial Review.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Arthur Diles appointed permanent head coach of Melbourne Victory

Melbourne Victory has confirmed that Arthur Diles will continue as Head Coach of the A-League Men’s team until the end of the 2025/26 Season.

Natalie Saridakis among new paramedics in training to join NSW Ambulance for 2025

NSW Ambulance has welcomed 91 paramedics in training who were officially inducted into the service in a ceremony held last week.

Maria Sakkari advances at Australian Open after ‘career-best’ shot

Maria Sakkari booked her place in the second round of the 2026 Australian Open with a convincing 6-4, 6-2 win over France’s Léolia Jeanjean.