Victoria hit with ‘circuit-breaker’ five-day lockdown

·

Premier Daniel Andrews has confirmed Victoria will begin a five-day stage four lockdown from midnight tonight. The lockdown is in response to the spread of the UK strain, linked to the Holiday Inn at Melbourne Airport, which the Premier says is spreading faster than contact tracers can keep up.

“We are having cases test positive – and we, in rapid time we get notified of that positive test result – by the time we find that case as positive, they’ve already infected their close contacts,” he said.

“That makes it incredibly difficult, incredibly difficult to do contact tracing, because there is no gap, if you like, between when we have the first case and their close contacts and potentially others that they have spent time with.

Mr Andrews said health authorities are now assuming there are further cases in the community that they do not know about.

“It is moving at a velocity that has not been seen anywhere in our country over the course of these last 12 months,” he said.

Victorians will have only four essential reasons to leave the home, which was also a fixture in last year’s.

They are: shopping for essential goods or services, work or study if you can’t from home, seeking or giving care and for exercise for two hours per day.

Below is a list of some other restrictions announced by the Premier:

  • You must stay within 5km of your home other than for permitted work
  • Masks are mandatory everywhere in Victoria
  • No visitors to anyone’s home
  • Public gatherings not permitted at all
  • Schools will close but will remain open for vulnerable children or children of essential workers
  • Religious gatherings and ceremonies are not permitted.
  • Funerals can involve no more than 10 people.
  • Hospitality will move to take away only

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor released as Epstein-linked probe continues

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released under investigation after being arrested on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

You May Also Like

Pharos Alliance holds public meeting to discuss plan for Greek language education

On Wednesday, May 28, 30 people braved the cold and windy weather to meet with the Pharos committee and debate the challenges ahead. 

Migrants accuse Greece of pushing them back out to sea

"They took us and put us on a ship. They left us on the water in a very bad way on these boats,” Omid Hussain Nabizada said in Turkish.

Netflix to premiere first-ever Cypriot film ‘Find Me Falling’ in July

Netflix will stream its first-ever Cypriot film Find Me Falling from Friday, July 19 this year. It stars Harry Connick Jr.