US confirms it will move forward with sale of F-16 fighter jets to Turkey

·

The President of the United States, Joe Biden, will move forward with the transfer of F-16 fighter jets to Turkey in consultation with Congress, Ekathimerini has reported.

The news was confirmed by US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan on Tuesday ahead of a NATO Summit in Vilnius, Switzerland.

Mr Sullivan said Biden “had been clear that he supports the transfer.”

“He has placed no caveats on this… He intends to move forward with that transfer,” Mr Sullivan said, without giving any details on the timing.

US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez.

This comes after the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez said on Monday that there was a temporary “lull” in Turkey’s “aggression against its neighbours,” and was is in talks with the Biden Administration about the hold he has on future US sales of F-16 fighter jets to Ankara.

Menendez said that while he still has concerns about Turkey, he could make a decision within the next week about the status of that hold.

Turkey requested in October 2021 to buy from the US $20 billion of Lockheed Martin Corp F-16 fighter jets and nearly 80 modernisation kits for its existing warplanes.

The sale has been the topic of heated debate within Greece and the US ever since.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Second Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium held in Athens

The 2nd Conference of Young People of the Greek Diaspora – Greek Youth Diaspora Symposium, concluded its proceedings in Athens.

Pope Leo XIV in Turkey: Dialogue and the renewed push for a unified Easter date

Pope Leo XIV’s first apostolic journey to Istanbul marked a historic moment in Catholic–Orthodox relations, bringing three days of prayer.

Federal Court rules against Jason Karas in multimillion-dollar partnership dispute

The Federal Court has found Adelaide lawyer Jason Karas engaged in a “dishonest and fraudulent design” to establish a global legal venture.

Election results for GOCNSW Board 2025–2027 confirmed

The Greek Orthodox Community of New South Wales (GOCNSW) held its Board election on Sunday, November 30, 2025.

Melbourne Food & Wine Festival serves Greek heritage at World’s Longest Lunch

The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival will run from 20 to 29 March, offering a 10-day program of 200 events.

You May Also Like

Bob Katter MP doubles down on journalist threat as watchdog urged to act

Bob Katter says he regrets not being “more aggressive” towards a journalist he threatened to punch, as the Greens demand an inquiry.

The 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, a Greek migrant and her wedding dress

Greek migrant, Nina Kondelos, was inspired by the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne when she designed her wedding dress.

Popular Greek restaurant’s shock closure in South Australia

Beloved South Australian restaurant Zante Greek Street Food, has officially closed after six years of serving delicious Greek cuisine.