United Nations: Rights violations against asylum seekers at Turkish-Greek border must stop

·

UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, Felipe González Morales, has criticised the actions of authorities at the Greek-Turkish border and called on Greece to take ‘immediate action’ to end the violence against migrants and asylum seekers.

Mr Morales expressed alarm at the reports of assaults and violence against asylum seekers by Greek security officers and unidentified armed men aiming to push them back to the Turkish side of the border.

“I am very concerned about the reported push backs of asylum seekers and migrants, which constitutes a violation of the prohibition of collective expulsions and the principle of non-refoulement,” Mr Morales said.

“Greece has the responsibility to ensure that migrants and those assisting them are protected from threats and attacks. The authorities should condemn promptly and ensure accountability for any such acts.”

Clashes erupted on the Greek-Turkish land border, where refugees and migrants hurled stones as Greek riot police fired tear gas. Photo by Nick Paleologos.

On March 1, 2020, Greece decided to suspend access to asylum application for 30 days for individuals who have crossed the border irregularly. These individuals would be returned to the country they arrived from or to their country of origin without registration or individual assessment.

“Greece should immediately reverse its decision on the suspension of asylum application which has no legal basis in international human rights law. The right to individual assessment is the cornerstone of human rights and refugee protection. It cannot be put on hold,” the UN expert said.

“Returning people without due process will inevitably result in cases of refoulement to situations where they may face the risk of death, torture, ill-treatment, persecution or other irreparable harm.”

Migrants have set up makeshift camps at the Greek-Turkish border. Source: Associated Press.

The Special Rapporteur has contacted the Government of Greece about his concerns regarding the situation of migrants, asylum seekers and refugees at the Turkish-Greek border.

Relevant institutions of the European Union and the Government of Turkey were also notified.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Sydney’s Pontians honour genocide victims through prayer, art and remembrance

Members of three Pontian associations in NSW gathered in Sydney on Tuesday, May 19 to commemorate the victims of the Greek Genocide.

Filli Kaoullas: The Australian powerhouse connecting Cyprus to the world

Filli Kaoullas embodies the modern Cypriot diaspora story — one defined by migration and an unwavering devotion to heritage and philanthropy.

Sydney’s Born To Bake Greek wins national small business award

Born To Bake Greek has been named Australia’s Best Cake Shop and Patisserie at the 2026 Australian Small Business Champion Awards.

Art exhibition at Sydney’s ANZAC Memorial to honour veterans’ service in Greece and Crete

Lustre is a powerful collection of art works and short films exploring the Allied campaigns in Greece and Crete during the Second World War.

Andrea Michaels appointed Associate Justice of South Australia’s Supreme Court

Cypriot Australian Andrea Michaels has been appointed Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.

You May Also Like

NSW records 390 new COVID-19 infections

NSW has recorded 390 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 - the highest daily case numbers since the pandemic began in March last year.

Archaeologists find shipwreck linked to 1821 Greek Revolution in Halkidiki

Archaeologists say that a shipwreck found near the Greek region of Halkidiki likely belongs to the 1821 Greek Revolution.

Greek Orthodox Community of NSW’s tribute to Mikis Theodorakis

Η Ελληνική Ορθόδοξη Κοινότητα Νέας Νότιας Ουαλίας συμμεριζόμενη το πένθος για τον εκλιπόντα Μίκη Θεοδωράκη εκφράζει στην οικογένειά του τα βαθιά και ειλικρινή συλλυπητήρια...