United Nations: Greece has no right to stop accepting asylum request

·

The United Nation’s refugee agency said on Monday that Greece had no right to stop accepting asylum applications as Athens struggled with a sudden increase of arrivals at its border of Middle East refugees and migrants from Turkey.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Sunday his country would not be accepting any new asylum requests for a month after two days of clashes between border police and thousands of people seeking to enter the EU from Turkey.

Read More: Child drowns at sea off coast of Lesbos in first fatality after Turkey border opens

“It is important that the authorities refrain from any measures that might increase the suffering of vulnerable people,” UNHCR said in a statement.

“All states have a right to control their borders and manage irregular movements, but at the same time should refrain from the use of excessive or disproportionate force and maintain systems for handling asylum requests in an orderly manner.”

The UN agency said neither international nor EU law provided “any legal basis for the suspension of the reception of asylum applications.”

Its statement came as the EU scrambled to help Greece police the frontier and sought to put pressure on Turkey to go back to preventing refugees and migrants stranded on its territory from seeking to reach Europe.

Turkey, which is home to 3.7 million Syrian refugees and has another million on its doorstep from a new surge of fighting, said last week it would stop enforcing a 2016 agreement that had prevented migrants from reaching the EU.

Greek officials accused Turkey of orchestrating a coordinated effort to drive migrants across the frontier.

Turkey’s announcement last week threatens to reverse an agreement that halted Western Europe’s biggest wave of migration since World War Two, the 2015-2016 crisis when 4,000 people drowned in Aegean and more than a million reached Greece.

Sourced by: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Dr Themistocles Kritikakos to launch genocide recognition book in Sydney

Historian Dr Themistocles Kritikakos’ new book has been presented in Melbourne as part of a public seminar series.

Greek Prime Minister praises enduring Greece-ANZAC bond in Battle of Crete message

Greece's Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has issued a statement marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

South Melbourne FC to clash with Vanuatu United in OFC Pro League semi-final

The OFC Pro League has reached its semi-final stage, with South Melbourne FC, Vanuatu United FC, Auckland FC and South Island United.

Archbishop Makarios: Battle of Crete legacy must inspire future generations

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a message commemorating the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Evzones in Pontic uniform mark poignant moment at Athens genocide commemoration

A solemn ceremony in central Athens has marked the 107th anniversary of the Genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Where can registered Greek diaspora vote in Australia on May 20?

Registered Greek citizens in Australia are invited to vote for the parliamentary elections on Saturday, May 20, 2023.

‘Want to strengthen bonds with the diaspora’: Florina Mayor Vasilis Giannakis on Australia visit

There are periods in the eventful history of a place when a decisive leap is required in order to escape the wear left behind by the past.

Father Alexios Triantafyllou passes away aged 96

The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia has today announced the passing of Oikonomos Father Alexios Triantafyllou.