UN confirms more Cyprus talks as disagreements persist

·

The second expanded meeting on the Cyprus problem concluded in New York with limited progress and plans for further talks.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called the discussions “constructive” and confirmed that another trilateral meeting with Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides and Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar will be held during the UN General Assembly in September, followed by a broader summit after the Turkish Cypriot elections in October.

Progress was reported on four previously agreed initiatives: a bicommunal youth committee, environmental cooperation, cemetery restoration, and demining. However, no breakthroughs were made on opening new crossing points or launching a proposed solar farm in the buffer zone.

Guterres stated: “We have reached an agreement on the crossing points themselves,” though Turkish Cypriot sources disputed this, citing disagreements over proposed “transit corridors” by the Greek Cypriot side.

Christodoulides remained hopeful, saying: “We are seeing small but significant progress, step by step, towards the great goal… the resolution of the Cyprus problem.” He said the Greek Cypriot side had accepted Turkish Cypriot proposals for two new crossings but awaited a response to their own.

Tatar, however, criticised the Greek Cypriot leadership, accusing them of pursuing “property-related criminal pursuits” against Turkish Cypriots and creating fear and distrust. “These actions… are aimed at damaging our economy and our tourism,” he said.

Tatar also reiterated the Turkish Cypriot stance that formal negotiations will not resume unless their “sovereign equality and equal international status” is recognised.

Greek Foreign Minister Giorgos Gerapetritis, who was also present at the meeting, described it as “extremely productive” and stressed the need for unity: “The message of a united Cyprus is necessary today in the world, which is experiencing strife, wars, and a great level of intolerance.”

Source: Cyprus Mail

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Greek language students celebrated at the Dionysios Solomos Awards

Young students who excelled in Modern and Classical Greek in the NSW HSC were recognised at the annual Dionysios Solomos Awards on Sunday.

President George Phillips opens up on future of the Inner West Hawks FC

President of the Inner West Hawks FC George Phillips has opened up to The Greek Herald about the future of the club.

Australia’s Foreign Minister Marise Payne to visit Greece on December 8

Australia's Minister for Foreign Affairs and Women, Marise Payne, will visit Greece on December 8 this year.