Ukraine’s Zelenskyy seeks resolve with Trump after US aid pause 

·

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy extended an olive branch to US President Donald Trump following a tense exchange during their meeting last week in the White House.

Describing the meeting as “regrettable,” Zelenskyy addressed the strained talks and called for cooperation under Trump’s leadership.

The exchange, which included heated criticism from both sides, centered around discussions about a potential peace deal with Russia.

The incident occurred in front of reporters and senior government officials, and led to Trump announcing on Tuesday, March 4, that he would pause all aid to Ukraine, which has been engaged in a conflict with Russia for over three years.

In a post on social media, Zelenskyy stated, “Our meeting in Washington, at the White House on Friday, did not go the way it was supposed to be,” and emphasised his desire to “make things right” and work with Trump.

He also expressed Ukraine’s readiness to sign a minerals deal proposed by the Trump administration and affirmed the country’s appreciation for US assistance in maintaining Ukraine’s sovereignty.

Zelenskyy continued, “Ukraine is ready to come to the negotiating table as soon as possible to bring lasting peace closer.”

He reiterated that “nobody wants peace more than Ukrainians,” and expressed his team’s readiness to work under Trump’s leadership to achieve peace.

The US has been a significant military and aid donor to Ukraine since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022.

However, relations between Zelenskyy and Trump have soured recently, especially after Trump returned to the White House.

The US president has been outspoken in his criticism of Zelenskyy, even calling him a “dictator” and repeating Kremlin-backed claims about Ukraine’s role in the war.

Trump’s approach to foreign policy has also shifted, with warmer relations developing between him and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

European leaders have voiced concern about this change, especially as Russia continues its aggression against Ukraine.

In response, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen announced plans to significantly increase Europe’s military spending, proposing a €150 billion ($254 billion) borrowing plan to enhance defence capabilities.

The plan is part of a broader effort to boost Europe’s rearmament in the face of growing concerns over US disengagement.

Source: ABC News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

From side hustles to sheftalia at the inaugural Cyprus Food and Wine Festival in Melbourne

On a blistering Sunday in Melbourne’s north, the large air-conditioned hall was welcome respite from the outdoor heat.

You May Also Like

Outgoing President of Canberra’s Greek Community John Loukadellis says ‘future is bright’

Outgoing President of the Greek Community and Church of Canberra, John Loukadellis, says 'future is bright.'

Greek Community of Melbourne announce new VCE summer school program

The Greek Community of Melbourne Language and Culture school announced the VCE Summer School program to prepare students for VCE exams.

Fugitive Moldovan oligarch arrested in Greece on corruption charges

Greek authorities have detained Vladimir Plahotniuc, a fugitive Moldovan oligarch accused of orchestrating a $1 billion bank fraud.