Two Greeks injured and others trapped as clashes continue in Sudan

·

The Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed on Easter Sunday that two Greeks are in hospital following armed clashes in Sudan, amna.gr reports.

Fighting erupted on Saturday between army units loyal to Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the head of Sudan’s transitional governing Sovereign Council, and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), led by General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, who is deputy head of the council.

In the statement, the Foreign Ministry said Greece’s Crisis Management Unit had been activated as “the main concern at the moment remains the safety of the Greeks in Sudan.”

“The two wounded Greeks are in a hospital and so far, there is no information about other injured Greeks. For any new developments there will be an update,” the statement added.

According to the statement, the Embassy in Cairo is also in constant contact with Metropolitan Savvas of Nubia and the Ambassador of Greece in Cairo has contacted the Head of the EU Delegation in Sudan (Khartoum).

People trapped in Khartoum:

At the same time, 15 people have also been trapped since Sunday inside the Greek Orthodox Metropolis in Sudan’s capital, Khartoum.

Speaking to ERT, Metropolitan Savvas said that among the 15 people trapped are Greeks, Ethiopians, Russians and Sudanese.

Metropolitan Savvas also pointed out that whilst the Metropolis has been under fire, it is an old building with thick walls and is holding up.

“We are today at the centre of the dispute. They use heavy weaponry. One cannot go out, nor open the doors,” the Metropolitan said.

“There are stray bullets, so we are especially careful in places where bullets cannot hit because in the previous days they also hit doors and windows, so we are in places where we are not in danger.”

Alexandra Calumeti, who is among those trapped in the Metropolis, told ERT: “They have shot people today in the street. My mother took me and told me to try to come home. Then she took us back to warn us that destruction is happening next to our house and to stay inside because they are killing.”

Sources: protothema.gr, ertnews, amna.gr

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Antiquities hoard uncovered in central Athens basement

Hidden in a concealed underground space accessible only via a trapdoor, the objects were wrapped in newspapers from the 1940s.

Natasha Karamanis calls for action after horror crash at ‘dangerous’ Sydney intersection

Natasha Karamanis, who was involved in a horror crash at an intersection in Sydney's north, is calling for urgent council action.

Hong Kong high-rise fire leaves dozens dead and hundreds missing

A massive fire that tore through the Wang Fuk Court residential complex in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has left at least 36 people dead.