Football NSW’s State Dinner was held at the ParkRoyal Parramatta last week in what was a fantastic celebration of community football with Football Canterbury’s well-respected football figure Armando Gardiman AM awarded the prestigious George Churchward Medal.
Football NSW Directors and Life Members all came together to recognise and acknowledge the elite few who have provided consistent and invaluable service at community level.
There was also representation from State and Local Government with David Harris (Minister for Aboriginal Affairs and Treaty, Minister for Gaming and Racing, Minister for Veterans, Minister for Medical Research, and Minister for the Central Coast), Charishma Kaliyanda (Member for Liverpool) and Donna Davis (Member for Parramatta) all of which threw their support behind the event.
Hosted by Stephanie Brantz, the evening kicked off with the presentation of the State Award winners.
State Award winners are nominated by their Association in recognition of their tireless efforts and service to football in their local community. State Awards formally recognise individuals who have provided consistent and valuable service at any level – Club, Association, Branch or State.
These contributions may include services such as: committee member, coach, manager, match official, canteen manager or grounds person.
The 2023 State Award Winners are:
- Daniel Metcalfe – Bankstown District Amateur Football Association
- Dimitri Hursalas – Bankstown District Amateur Football Association
- Vicki Belton-Crowe – Canterbury & District Soccer Football Association Inc
- Ian Robinson – Eastern Suburbs Football Association
- Andre Gmur – Eurobodalla Football Association Inc.
- Eddy De Gabrielle – Football South Coast
- Irene Hatzipetros – Football St George
- Matt Spalding – Macarthur Football Association
- Suzy Broughton – Manly Warringah Football Association
- Greg Dick – Manly Warringah Football Association
- Ben Chesterman – Nepean Football Association Inc
- Roy Ashpole – Northern Suburbs Football Association
- Terry Haberley – Shoalhaven District Football Association Inc.
- Jonathon Clark – Southern Districts Soccer Football Association
- Jason Broadbent – Southern Tablelands Football Association Inc.
- Jim Hankins – Sutherland Shire FA
On the night, the Fair Play Award, Future Leaders Award, and George Churchward Medal were also awarded to Nepean Football Association’s Under 6 Bears team, Southern Tablelands FA’s Jason Broadbent, and Armando Gardiman AM respectively.
It was a fantastic evening as Football NSW’s grassroots community embraced in what was a memorable season for all involved with all eyes on a bigger season in 2024.