Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar lays wreath at Australian War Memorial

·

The Turkish Cypriot leader of the illegitimate “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus” (TRNC), Ersin Tatar laid a wreath at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra on Thursday, May 23.

In a post on Facebook, Tatar said he laid the wreath “on behalf of the TRNC and paid tribute to those who lost their lives in the wars.”

Tatar arrived in Australia on Wednesday, May 22 to much fan fare from the local Turkish community. His first stop was in Melbourne, Victoria before travelling to the Australian Capital Territory to pay a visit to the Turkish Embassy and lay a wreath at the War Memorial.

He said the aim of his visit was to meet and embrace “our wonderful and resilient people who have settled here since the 1940s.”

So far, Tatar has not had any official meetings with politicians or government representatives.

Tatar’s arrival comes amid tensions with the Cypriot Australian community.

Since the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, 37% of the territory of the Republic of Cyprus fell to the Turkish military. The north unilaterally declared its independence on 15 November 1983 under the name of the TRNC.

Tatar calls himself the “President” of the TRNC – a territory that is not recognised by any country except Turkey.

The SEKA Victoria Committee has written a letter to the State Premier, Jacinta Allen and the Victorian Minister for Environment Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events, Steve Dimopoulos to request they ignore the upcoming visit of Turkish-Cypriot politician, Ersin Tatar to Melbourne on Wednesday, May 22.
The SEKA Victoria Committee has written a letter to the Victorian Government requesting they ignore the visit of Turkish-Cypriot politician, Ersin Tatar to Melbourne on Wednesday, May 22.

SEKA Victoria – the Justice for Cyprus Co-ordinating Committee – sent a letter to the state Premier, Jacinta Allen on Tuesday, May 21 to request they ignore Tatar’s visit.

In the letter, President of SEKA Victoria Pavlos Andronikos said it would be “totally inappropriate for any Victorian Minister or Government official to meet with Tatar,” and explained that Greek and Cypriot Australians were distressed by his visit.

“We believe that the purpose of Tatar’s visit is to push for recognition of the illegal “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus”,” Mr Andronikos said.

The letter concluded by calling on the Victorian Premier to issue a statement making it clear the state government will not engage with Tatar during their visit, and to show their support for the Federal Government’s position on the TRNC.

greek film festival sydney new

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

Amaretti: A sweet treat from My Greek Kitchen

Niki Louca from My Greek Kitchen shares her favourite recipe for Amaretti (a bitter-sweet flavored macaroon) with The Greek Herald.

The Italian occupation and bombardment of Corfu

In 1923, a year after Mussolini rose to power fascist Italy revealed its expansionist ambitions in the Balkans.

You May Also Like

Greek PM, Prince Charles discuss how to preserve former royal estate in Greece

Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, travelled to Scotland on Tuesday after being invited by the Prince of Wales.

Huge Greek Paniyiri to come to Sydney this Australia Day

A traditional Greek Paniyiri is coming to the inner-west Sydney suburb of Marrickville on Australia Day this year.

‘I didn’t want it to end’: Australia reacts to new documentary retelling iconic Women’s World Cup victory

"...these stories have really been ignored, and we wanted to celebrate sportswomen and tell their stories in a creative and interesting way," Angela Pippos, producer of 'The Record', said.