Turkey surpasses virus epicentre China in COVID-19 cases

·

Turkey’s confirmed coronavirus cases have risen to 86,306, the highest total for any country outside Europe or the United States.

An increase of 3,977 cases in the last 24 hours also lifted Turkey’s confirmed tally above that of China, where the coronavirus first emerged.

According to Turkey’s Health Minister, Fahrettin Koca, 127 more people have died, taking the death toll to 2,017.

“A total of 11,976 people have recovered from coronavirus so far, and the number of tests carried out over the past 24 hours came to 35,344,” Mr Koca said.

Turkey’s Health Minister confirmed the new coronavirus cases on Sunday, Source: First Channel.

Turkey’s infection rate has reportedly dropped from 15 percent to 9 percent in the past week, although many medical professionals have challenged the Health Ministry’s official figures, saying that the true number of cases and deaths are far higher than reported.

Further suspicion was raised after observers noticed the Turkish government’s tallies between COVID-19 deaths and the total numbers of cases have increased at a constant fixed rate for at least 10 days.

Turkey’s coronavirus measures:

  • The first case of coronavirus was reported in Turkey on March 11.
  • By March 16, the government had closed schools and universities, pavilions, bars and night clubs and a nationwide ban on prayer gatherings in mosques was also imposed.
  • Starting with Iran, Turkey had closed flights between 68 countries by the end of March and closed most of its land borders.
The streets of Istanbul are being regularly sanitised. Source: Istanbul Mayor’s Office.
  • On March 21, a total curfew was introduced for anyone over the age of 65. On April 3, that curfew was extended to people younger than 20 years old and using masks in public places became mandatory.
  • All vehicles, aside from essential deliveries, were also banned from entering Istanbul and 30 other cities.
  • Streets were also being regularly sanitised and hand sanitiser dispensers had been installed in public areas and on public transport.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Helping Heidi reclaim her life from Stage 4 endometriosis

Heidi S thought she was coping.For years, she endured heavy bleeding, clots, anaemia, and crippling pain. She pushed through.

Jacquelene Tsovolos: Honouring the past to build the Cypriot youth of tomorrow

When Jacquelene Tsovolos thinks about identity, she thinks of “the stories you’re handed down before you’re old enough to understand.”

SA Labor pledges $200,000 to Hellenic Studies Foundation scholarship program

SA Labor has committed $200,000 to establish a new scholarship program honouring the Very Reverend Father Diogenis Patsouris OAM.

Roselands set for $55 million redevelopment to modernise Sydney mall

Roselands, one of Sydney’s oldest shopping centres, is set for a $55 million upgrade under a HomeCo proposal lodged.

Mitsotakis looks to expand Greece-India cooperation at AI summit

Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis said he aims to give the Greece-India strategic partnership a “significant boost” during a visit to India.

You May Also Like

Keep it Greek this International Lego Classicism Day

Each year we celebrate International Lego Classicism Day and this year we look to the many people who have kept history alive through LEGO. 

HACCI National Federation send open letter to Greek leaders about issues with diaspora vote

HACCI National Federation sent open letter to leadership of Greece regarding the right of Greek citizens in Australia to exercise their vote.

Madison Stefanis’ journey to building a multi-million dollar business

At just 23, Madison Stefanis has transformed her passion for vintage cameras into a thriving $4 million business.