Turkey sends new drill ship to eastern Mediterranean

·

Turkey’s President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, inaugurated the country’s newest and largest undersea hydrocarbon drill ship on Tuesday and said it was heading northwest of Cyprus in the eastern Mediterranean.

Erdogan said the Abdülhamid Han drillship would operate 55km off Turkey’s coast in an area within the country’s sovereign territory.

“The survey and drilling work we are conducting in the Mediterranean are within our sovereign territory. We do not need to receive permission or consent from anyone for this,” he said at a ceremony to launch the ship in Turkey’s coastal Mersin province.

This is the first time since September 2020 when Turkey withdrew their Yavuz drill ship from contested waters, that the country will be sending a drill ship to the eastern Mediterranean.

News of the drilling late last month, prior to the precise location being known, was met with disapproval from Greek and Cypriot officials, with Cyprus’ Foreign Minister, Ioannis Kasoulides dubbing it “a crescendo of harsh and provocative rhetoric” from Ankara.

Speaking at the launch ceremony, Erdogan made an apparent reference to Greece, Cyprus and their Western allies.

“Neither the puppets nor the ones who hold their strings will be able to prevent us from getting our rights in the Mediterranean,” he said.

Greek government spokesperson, Giannis Oikonomou told reporters on Tuesday that Athens is monitoring the situation carefully.

“We need to be vigilant … We’ve always been doing what we have to do to have stability in our region and to fully defend international law and our own sovereign rights,” Oikonomou said.

Turkey’s three other drilling ships: Fatih, Kanuni and Yavuz are currently conducting operations in the Black Sea where Turkey discovered natural gas reserves. All four ships are named after Ottoman sultans.

SOURCE: AP NEWS

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

Turkey challenges Greek offshore energy plans south of Crete

Turkey has objected to Greece’s approval of offshore energy exploration south of Crete, calling the move a violation of international law.

You May Also Like

Sydney court hears Joshua Gotsis allegedly transported $1 million of meth for drug syndicate

Sydney plumber Joshua Gotsis, 23, was granted bail in Supreme Court on February 9 over serious drug supply charges. Read more here.

Apartment owners and stall holders at odds over Preston Market redevelopment plans

Victorian Planning Minister, Richard Wynne, has slashed the number of apartments allowed in draft planning rules at Preston Market to 1,200.

Signature lead project ‘The Spheres’ to bring Greek flair to the Brisbane Festival

The Brisbane Festival has announced the first part of its 2022 program and there's a definite Greek flair to its events this year.