Turkey extends exploration in Mediterranean waters as Greece issues counter-Navtex

·

Turkey said on Wednesday it extended the stay of its Oruc Reis survey vessel and two other ships in a disputed area of the eastern Mediterranean until Oct. 27, in a move likely to further escalate tensions in the region.

Two other vessels, the Ataman and Cengiz Han along with Oruc Reis will continue work in an area southeast of the Greek island of Rhodes until Oct. 27, Turkey’s Navy said in a maritime notice. The vessels had previously been scheduled to work until Oct. 22.

In response to Turkey’s announcement, the Navy Hydrographic Service (HNHS) in Heraklion, Crete, on Thursday issued its own navigational telex (NAVTEX) in the area between the islands of Rhodes and Kastellorizo.

Oruz Reis. Photo: Ekatherimini

Greece’s notice states that the Turkish activity “is unauthorised and illegal,” in an area that overlaps the Greek continental shelf.

It also said that the Herakleion Navtex station has the authority to broadcast Navtex messages in the area.

Ankara had withdrawn Oruc Reis from last month to “allow for diplomacy” before a European Union summit at which Cyprus sought sanctions against Turkey, but sent it back this month, prompting an angry rebuke from Greece, France and Germany.

READ MORE: Greece, Cyprus and Egypt call on Turkey to stop “imperial fantasies” and join them
READ MORE: Albania, Greece take maritime dispute to international court

After the summit the bloc said it would punish Turkey if it continued its operations in the region, in a move Ankara said further strained Turkey-EU ties. Turkey says its operations are within its continental shelf.

Earlier on Wednesday, Greece urged the EU to reconsider its customs union with Turkey in response to Ankara’s exploration in the Mediterranean, deploring what it termed Turkey’s “imperial fantasies.”

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

GOCNSW students spread Christmas joy at Earlwood aged care home

Students from the GOCNSW Afternoon and Saturday Greek Schools from Clemton Park PS brought joy, colour, and Christmas spirit.

Just Brew It: Why OASIS Coffee is the perfect blend for your briki

OASIS has been brewing up business in Australia since 1969, helping fuel the country’s renowned love affair with coffee.

Meet Georgios Frangulis: Greek boyfriend of US Open winner Aryna Sebalenka

Belarusian tennis star Aryna Sabalenka has faced personal tragedies in her past, including the loss of both her father and a former boyfriend.