Turkey blames Greece after 12 migrants freeze to death near border

·

The bodies of 12 migrants who froze to death were found near Turkey’s border with Greece, the Turkish Interior Minister said on Wednesday.

In a tweet, Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said that those who had died were found near the Ipsala border crossing “without shoes and stripped of their clothes,” and had been among 22 people allegedly pushed back into Turkey by Greek border guards.

The minister didn’t provide further details, but shared blurred photographs of eight of the recovered bodies, including three in shorts and T-shirts.

Greece has long denied Turkish claims that its forces push migrants back into Turkey, or sink migrant boats at sea.

On Wednesday, Migration Minister Notis Mitarakis dismissed Soylu’s remarks as “false propaganda,” saying Turkey needed to do more to prevent migrants from setting off from there.

“These migrants never made it to the border,” Mitarakis said in a statement. “Any suggestion that they did, or indeed were pushed back into Turkey, is utter nonsense.”

Mitarakis accused Turkey of failing to prevent migrants from approaching the border area and undertaking “these dangerous journeys.”

“Instead of accusing others, Turkey should assume its responsibilities if we want to prevent such tragedies from occurring again,” Mitarakis said.

The International Organisation for Migration said it was “horrified” by the reported deaths and that it would follow up the incident with the relevant authorities.

Greece is one of the main routes into the European Union for migrants and refugees from Africa, the Middle East and beyond, though the flow has tapered off since 2015-2016 when more than a million people traversed the country to other EU states.

Source: AP News.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

South Melbourne FC finish runners-up after strong OFC Pro League campaign

South Melbourne FC’s remarkable run in the inaugural OFC Pro League came to a narrow end on Sunday night, with Hellas going down 2-1...

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

You May Also Like

Souvlaki Boys win fifth Inner West Business Award in six years

Souvlaki Boys have once again been recognised for their excellence, taking home the Outstanding Specialised Retail Business award.

Celebrate weekends with OASIS Coffee’s custom backgammon boards

The Director of OASIS Coffee, Chris Togias, has created custom backgammon boards with the help of Manopoulos.

Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated by Tiafoe in Wimbledon opening day shock

Frances Tiafoe has caused the first big upset of the Wimbledon men’s singles tournament by beating Stefanos Tsitsipas, 6-4, 6-4, 6-3.