‘Treat us as equals’: Turkish FM reiterates support of two-state solution in Cyprus

·

Turkish Foreign Minister, Mevlut Cavusoglu, has reiterated Turkey’s support for a two-state solution in Cyprus, while accusing Greece of trying to rally international support against his country, Ekathimerini reports.

“Two states existing side by side can cooperate between them in every possible way,” Cavusoglu said during a visit to the Turkish-occupied north of the island on Monday. 

“If the Greek Cypriot side is sincere about wanting to treat Turkish Cypriots as equals, then it will recognise their political sovereignty and we will cooperate.”

Cavusoglu also accused Greek officials of “griping” to the international community and unfairly accusing his country of preparing to attack Greece.

In response, Greek diplomatic sources quoted by state broadcaster ERT said that Greece “will not be drawn into a sterile confrontation” with Turkey. 

“We have responded to Turkey’s baseless claims with maps and letters. Athens responds calmly and with evidence,” the same sources said.

READ MORE: Athens responds to Erdogan’s threats over the Aegean islands.

Map released by the Greek Foreign Minister last week.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded after a brief Greek Cypriot coup orchestrated by the military junta then ruling Greece.

Turkey justified its invasions by citing its rights to protect Turkish Cypriots, but the island has remained divided between the internationally recognised Republic of Cyprus and the TRNC, which is only recognised as a state by Turkey.

Turkey’s calls for a two-state solution on the Mediterranean island are in violation of United Nations resolutions and have been rejected by Cyprus, Greece, the European Union and the United States.

READ MORE: Von der Leyen: EU will ‘never, ever’ accept two-state deal on Cyprus.

Source: Ekathimerini.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Students block streets in Athens to protest against private universities bill

More than 15,000 protestors gathered in central Athens on Thursday to reject government plans to allow private universities from next year.

Greece suspends flights to Qatar after 12 test positive, including two Greeks from Australia

Greece on Tuesday suspended flights to and from Qatar after 12 individuals on a plane from Doha tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Sakellaropoulou on official visit to Cyprus: We must fight for end of Turkish occupation

"Let us fight with unshakable faith and perseverance for the end of the Turkish occupation and the reunification of Cyprus," President Sakellaropoulou said on Tuesday.