‘Time for acts to break inaction’: Greek PM introduces harsher punishments for sexual abuse

·

Greece will toughen laws to combat sexual abuse and protect minors, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said on Thursday following a cascade of recent scandals in culture and sport.

“Greek society underwent a shock when it began to learn about its hidden facades,” Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis told lawmakers Thursday, Reuters reports.

The measures he outlined include stricter penalties for crimes against sexual freedom, changing the statute of limitations for cases of child abuse, creating a registry for professionals who work with children and a website where victims can submit allegations in real time.

The metoo.gov.gr will be a new portal where victims will be able to submit complaints via live chat and access information on sexual abuse.

“It is time for acts to break the inaction,” he said.

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis addresses lawmakers during a parliamentary session on revelations of abuse in arts and sports, in Athens, Greece, February 25, 2021. REUTERS/Alkis Konstantinidis

A number of allegations have surfaced since January, when Olympic sailing champion Sofia Bekatorou testified in court that she had been sexually assaulted as a 21-year-old in 1998 by a sports official. No case was brought against the man, as the statute of limitations had passed.

But her account – and the outpouring of support it provoked – prompted dozens of actors, singers, athletes and students to come forward in what Greeks have compared to the #MeToo movement in the United States and elsewhere.

The former head of the National Theatre, Dimitris Lignadis, is facing child rape allegations after two men who say he raped them when they were minors filed lawsuits against him.

Lignadis, who is in custody, is expected to appear before a prosecutor later on Thursday for a plea hearing. He denies all allegations and his lawyer has called them a “crude fabrication.”

Sofia Bekatorou. Photo: AFP

His case has become a major political issue, with the leftwing opposition calling on Culture Minister Lina Mendoni to resign, accusing her of protecting Lignadis.

Mitsotakis said he backed Mendoni and accused opposition leader Alexis Tsipras of seeking to exploit the scandal for “populist” purposes.

“The liberating movement is becoming a field of vulgar populism and vague accusations aiming to harm political opponents, as if rapists are divided into right-wing and left-wing,” he said.

According to a November survey by Actionaid, 85% of female respondents said they have experienced sexual harassment at work.

Sourced By: Reuters

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Greek police detain Nea Aristera protesters over Palestinian flag at the Acropolis

Greek police detained 15 members of the left-wing Nea Aristera (New Left) party after they unfurled a Palestinian flag at the Acropolis.

European Union joins Huawei 5G network development despite US and Australia rejection

Against the recommendations established by the United States, the European Union has opened its doors to Chinese Huawei for the development of the 5G network under strict conditions.

Nikolaos Solomos vows Derrimut 24:7 Gym will survive despite $12.5m ATO debt

Fitness chain Derrimut 24:7 has avoided immediate liquidation after a Federal Court adjourned proceedings to wind up one of its companies.