Three more people charged over Greece’s deadliest train crash as PM apologises again

·

A railway inspector and two more stationmasters have been charged in connection with Greece’s deadliest train crash at Tempi last week that killed 57 people and injured dozens.

The stationmasters had allegedly ended their work shifts early on the night of the incident, despite traffic being unusually heavy after Greece’s Carnival celebrations. The supervisor has been accused of placing an inexperienced stationmaster on duty at the time of the crash.

According to Ekathimerini, all three are being charged with endangering transport safety and multiple counts of negligent homicide and bodily harm.

Similar charges were levelled on Sunday against the stationmaster who stands accused of making the fatal point switch that saw the passenger train and freight train put on the same track at Tempi. 

News of the indictments filtered through as the Greece’s Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, held his first cabinet meeting since a period of national mourning.

During the meeting, Mitsotakis promised “absolute transparency” as the inquiry into the tragedy intensified and apologised again for the train crash.

“I want to reiterate a public apology on behalf of those who ruled the country over the years, and mainly personally,” Mitsotakis said during the meeting. “I assume responsibility.”

He said that more than 270 million euros would be invested in railway reform by the end of August.

The crash has stirred protests against a political system which has repeatedly ignored calls by railway unions and EU officials to install digital safety systems and hire more staff.

On Wednesday, tens of thousands rallied outside Parliament in Athens, the northern city of Thessaloniki and other cities across Greece in the largest street demonstrations the conservative government has faced since being elected in 2019.

General elections that had been expected to take place in April have, in the face of the uproar, been rescheduled for May. 

Source: The Guardian and Ekathimerini.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

IHO NYX brings Greek Rock to centre stage in Sydney this weekend

As Sunday, April 6 approaches, all eyes are on IHO NYX, the band ready to electrify Sydney with a concert dedicated entirely to Greek Rock.

Party for a purpose: Support the Pontian House at the Winter Wonderland Gala 2025

The Pontian Association of NSW Pontoxeniteas will host its highly anticipated Winter Wonderland Gala 2025 on Saturday, May 31, at 6.30 PM.

‘Comedy Cartel’: A night of laughter at the Hellenic Club of Canberra

Get ready for a night of laughter and cultural celebration as Comedy Cartel makes its debut at the Hellenic Club of Canberra this June.

Cypriot courage remembered: Join the ANZAC Day March, keep their legacy alive 

On Anzac Day we commemorate the bravery and good deeds of Australian, New Zealand and Allied forces over many conflicts.

Orthodox Mission in Madagascar uplifted by Australian generosity

As Bishop Theophilos prepares to return to Madagascar, he issued a statement expressing his deep gratitude for the support and affection.

You May Also Like

Greek government reduces taxes on drugs

The Greek government is proceeding with the reduction of VAT on drugs and services related to cancer, government spokesperson Stelios Petsas said during a...

Turkey issues new Navtex in Eastern Mediterranean for Oruc Reis vessel

Turkey has issued a new Navtex for the Oruc Reis vessel to carry out activities south of the island of Kastellorizo until October 20.

Peter Poulos: Why we honoured dad’s legacy on Australia’s National Monument to Migration

Peter Poulos the son of Con Poulos from the Poulos Bros shares why he honoured his dad's legacy on Australia's National Monument to Migration