Thousands more evacuated as Rhodes wildfire continues to rage

·

The wildfire racing across the Greek island of Rhodes for a week now continued to rage uncontained on Monday evening, Ekathimerini has reported.

The wildfire has so far burned an estimated 34,200 hectares.

Things took a turn for the worse on Monday as the fire tore past defences and more evacuations were ordered, in the central and southern parts of the island.

A firefighter tries to extinguish a wildfire in Asklipio village on Rhodes island. Photo: Aristidis Vafeiadakis/Zuma/Shutterstock.

The latest evacuations were ordered in south Rhodes after 19,000 people, mostly tourists, were moved in buses and boats over the weekend out of the path of the fire. It was the country’s biggest evacuation effort in recent years.

“We are at war – completely focused on the fires,” Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis said during a debate in Parliament. “Over the coming days and weeks, we must remain on constant alert.”

Wildfires are also raging on the islands of Corfu and Evia and on the mainland, notably in the Peloponnese, southern Greece. 

Overnight, an estimated 2,466 citizens had fled dwellings in 17 villages along Corfu’s northern coast, while hundreds had been forced to evacuate communities on Evia.

These fires come as Greece experienced the hottest temperatures in 50 years at the weekend, with the mercury reaching 45 degree Celsius in the central region of Thessaly.

A wildfire burns at the Trapeza village, in Achaia in the Peloponnese. Photo: Giota Lotsari/EPA.

Temperatures are set to climb again on Tuesday after a day of relative respite.

The Fire Service has announced that most of the island of Crete, with the exception of the regional unit of Hania, as well as Rhodes and the nearby islands, are facing an extreme risk (Category 5, the highest) of new fire outbreaks.

Source: Ekathimerini.

READ MORE: Australian helicopters join fight against wildfires in Greece.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

‘The Life of Byron’ opens at The Greek Centre this weekend

What happens when a middle-aged Greek Australian man is forced to confront family, memory, ageing parents and himself? 

Dendias demands apology from Ukraine over naval drone incident

Nikos Dendias has said Ukraine owes Greece a “big apology” after a Ukrainian naval drone was discovered off the coast of Lefkada.

Unidentified odour blankets southern Athens as authorities search for source

Residents across southern parts of Athens were left alarmed after a strong unexplained smell swept through several coastal suburbs.

Greece denies role in Israeli interception of Gaza-bound flotilla

Greece has denied any involvement in the Israeli military’s interception of the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza.

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

You May Also Like

Two Greek Australian women named in U-23 Four Nations Tournament squad

Two Greek Australian women have been named in U-23 Four Nations Tournament squad for Australia. Read more here.

Greek Australian students in NSW top the state in 2021 HSC rankings

Seven Greek Australian students have come first in the state for their Higher School Certificate (HSC) subjects this year.

Perth commemorates Battle of Crete and honours victims of Greek genocide

Perth’s Greek community gathered for commemorations honouring the heroes of the Battle of Crete and the victims of the Greek Genocide.