Steve Ploubidis faces long recovery after fire destroys his SA takeaway shop

·

Steve Ploubidis, owner of Plato’s Greek Chargrill and former SA Jockey Club executive, has suffered third-degree burns, with 70 per cent of his body affected, after a fire broke out in his Walkerville restaurant early last month.

The blaze, which is believed to have originated in the kitchen, was contained to the shop, though neighbouring businesses experienced smoke and water damage.

Mr Ploubidis sustained severe injuries while attempting to extinguish the flames. He was rushed to the hospital, where he remains undergoing treatment.

In response to the tragedy, Mr Ploubidis’ eldest daughter, Daniella Carling, launched a GoFundMe campaign aiming to raise $20,000 to support his wife, Katya, and their three young children during his recovery.

Ms Carling explained that her father “sustained third-degree burns affecting 70 per cent of his body” while trying to save his restaurant.

“When the roof started to collapse in the back kitchen, Dad was still inside trying to put the fire out to save Plato’s,” she said. “He is expected to remain in hospital for several months.”

Greek restaurant owner recovers in hospital after catching on fire during lunchtime prep
Fire destroyed Plato’s. Photo: Nine News.

The fire has left the family struggling financially. Katya, unable to work due to the loss of the restaurant, is facing difficulty covering their mortgage and daily expenses for the children.

“Dad will also have ongoing medical expenses for at least the next 18 months following multiple surgeries,” Ms Carling said. “Katya is applying for support where possible, as insurance unfortunately won’t cover the loss. Our family are also trying to help out as much as possible.”

The GoFundMe has so far raised over $14,000 of its $20,000 goal.

“We are so thankful to all our family and friends who have continued to support us. To everyone who helped dad on the day of the fire and pulled him out, and the burns unit at the RAH, we are forever grateful to you for saving his life,” Ms Carling said.

“Plato’s meant so much to dad for so many reasons, and he is very thankful for all the messages we’ve read to him from his customers and the community.”

She added that her father hopes “to be able to see everyone again” and eventually return to “serving amazing Greek food.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Greek leaders across Australia congratulate The Greek Herald on its 95th anniversary

Greek community leaders from Victoria, South Australia, the ACT and New South Wales have sent letters of congratulations to The Greek Herald.

Doctors’ aid group head Christos Christou urges Australia to sanction Israel

Doctors Without Borders President Dr Christos Christou has slammed the Australian government for supplying arms to Israel.

Four Greek children found carrying cancer-linked gene from Danish sperm donor

An international investigation has revealed that four children in Greece carry a dangerous mutation traced to a Danish sperm donor.