Sophie Cotsis: Berejiklian Government ignoring repeated warnings to defend against cyber attacks

·

Labor is urging the Berejiklian Government to safeguard Government departments and services against cyber attacks ahead of today’s parliamentary Inquiry into Cybersecurity.
 
Recent media reports indicated Cyber Security NSW is investigating another major attack on the Government.
 
The Shadow Minister for Better Public Services Sophie Cotsis said: “The Berejiklian Government has continued to ignore repeated warnings that it needs to take urgent action to protect departments and services against cyber attacks.”
 
“The Government cannot be trusted to defend the personal information of its citizens,” Ms Cotsis said.
 
“It has still done nothing in response to the NSW Auditor General’s warnings last year that the personal details of 4 million Service NSW customers’ remain at risk following a major breach.”
 
The data breach followed the Department of Customer Service disclosure in its Annual Report that the number of cyber security incidents reported to Cyber Security NSW increased 50 per cent on the previous year (page 36).
 
The report also found:
– 30 percent of agencies do not provide training to employees in relation to data protection and breach management
– 30 percent of agencies do not maintain a register of data breach incidents
– Those agencies which do maintain a register of data breach incidents often fail to record important information, with no agencies recording the estimated cost of any data breach which occurred
 
The Auditor General, for the third year in a row, has warned that the Government needed to prioritise improvements to cyber security as a matter of urgency.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Paul Nicolaou calls scaled-back Cutaway trading hours ‘disappointing’

Business Sydney's Paul Nicolaou criticised the NSW government’s decision to wind back plans for 24-hour trading at The Cutaway venue.

Athens University opens Cyprus branch in higher education milestone

The establishment of a Cyprus branch of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens marks “a milestone.”

Stefanos Tsitsipas sets up Medvedev showdown in Doha

Stefanos Tsitsipas advanced to the next round of the ATP Doha tournament with a composed 6-4, 6-4 win over Moez Echargui.

Memorial service held in Sydney for 113th anniversary of Ioannina’s liberation

On Sunday, February 15, the Panipirotiki Enosis of NSW held a memorial service marking the 113th anniversary of the Liberation of Ioannina.

Modern Greek and more: Discover Kingsgrove North High School at Open Night 2026

Families across Sydney’s south-west are invited to discover Kingsgrove North High School at its Open Night 2026 on Tuesday, February 24.

You May Also Like

Tributes flow for famous Greek Australian artist Alkis Astras

Tributes flow after the death of Greek Australian artist Alkis Astras whose works were collected by the likes of Jackie Kennedy Onassis.

George Antonis: Sydney Olympic FC’s young, skilled midfielder

21-year-old George Antonis is a footballer whose technique and mobility in the midfield will leave an enduring legacy.

South Australian seafood heir Panagiotis Toumazos charged with child abuse

Panagiotis Toumazos of the well-known Toumazos family of the South Australian Fish Factory fame, has been charged with sexual assault.