Snowtown murderer James Vlassakis eligible for parole next year

·

James Spyridon Vlassakis, who was 19 when he committed the Snowtown crimes, was found guilty of being involved in four of 12 murders between August 1992 and May 1999, in and around Adelaide, South Australia.

He was sentenced to life in jail with a non-parole term of 26 years and his image remains suppressed to this day. Now 44 years old, Vlassakis will be eligible to apply for parole in May of 2025.

Vlassakis’s testimony was key in helping to convict South Australia’s Snowtown “bodies-in-the-barrels murders”, John Bunting and Robert Wagner. Both were convicted of 11 and 10 murders, respectively, and are in prison for the rest of their lives with no prospect of parole.

While on parole at the Adelaide Pre-release Centre, Mark Haydon ventured out on supervised day release.(ABC News: Che Chorley)
While on parole at the Adelaide Pre-release Centre, Mark Haydon ventured out on supervised day release. Photo: ABC News/Che Chorley.
Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. ABC News. Lincoln Rothall
Frances Nelson says prisoners with life sentences have their case reviewed by the parole board annually. Photo: ABC News/Lincoln Rothall.

In addition, Vlassakis helped put Snowtown accomplice Mark Ray Haydon away for 25 years; the 65-year-old’s sentence ended last week.

Frances Nelson KC will play a significant role in Vlassakis’ parole next year, if he applies, as he will need to persuade the chair of the South Australian Parole Board of his remorse.

“We review his case annually, any prisoner with a life sentence has to have their case reviewed annually…that’s helpful if they apply for parole because you’ve monitored them throughout many years,” Ms Nelson said.

Vlassakis was first drawn into the serial killings by his stepfather, Bunting, whom he lived with alongside his mother in Adelaide’s northern suburbs at the time.

Source: ABC News

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Michael Christofas shortlisted for national portrait prize with tribute to Kastellorizian women

Melbourne photographer Michael Christofas has been named a finalist in the 2026 Percival Photographic Portrait Prize in Townsville.

Memory gathers at double book launch: Rain-soaked readings of migration and storytelling

As rain lashed the windows of St Catherine’s Greek Orthodox Church Hall, warmth gathered around a long table laid with yiayia’s tablecloth.

The last thing born in Ephesus wasn’t marble, and Melbourne has the answer

When you hear the title The Library of Ephesus, you expect marble ruins and dusty scrolls. You do not expect soccer teams, Aristotle Onassis.

Filotimo on a plate: Neoléa and the Cretan Association bring Crete to Adelaide

Neoléa, in collaboration with the Cretan Association of South Australia, hosted an intimate and engaging culinary workshop on Sunday, May 17.

Pallaconians’ OPA Y2K Youth Night brings the 2000s back to Brunswick

More than 100 young people gathered at the Pallaconian Brotherhood’s Laconian House in Brunswick on Saturday, May 9.

You May Also Like

Archbishop Makarios of Australia: ‘The birth of Christ is a call to holiness’

Archbishop Makarios of Australia has issued a special Christmas message to Greek Orthodox faithful ahead of Christmas Day on December 25.

Sydney’s Greek community commemorates the Athens Polytechnic Uprising

The 47th anniversary of the Athens Polytechnic Uprising was commemorated on Sunday with a special event organised by the GOCNSW and CUGA.

Maria Sakkari teams up with leading Australian audio technology distributor

Greek tennis player, Maria Sakkari, has entered into a partnership with luxury audio brands, Focal and Naim.