Shortage of masks and gloves forces 300 medical staff into isolation in Greece

·

Dozens of doctors and nurses working in Greece’s public hospital have tested positive for coronavirus, and some 300 members of medical staff are in home isolation, following a shortage of hygiene products.

Mr Michalis Giannakos, President of Greece’s Union for Hospital Workers POEDIN, said a total of 48 doctors tested positive for COVID-19 overnight, with many clinics closing down to be disinfected and patients being transferred to other hospitals as a result.

“We are decimated. If masks do not come, there will be many losses,” Mr Giannakos said.

“Hospital doctors have been complaining for days that protective measures have not been taken for both the medical and nursing sectors.”

Doctors and nurses working on the frontline of the coronavirus pandemic are increasingly at risk.

Greek Health Ministry spokesman, Sotiris Tsiodras, concurred with the union president and said some medical staff had been infected after coming in contact with infected patients ‘without the necessary protection measures.’

“Health care personnel are at the forefront of the health system,” Mr Tsiodras said.

“If they’ve come in contact with an infected person, they will be put in a 7 day, and not a 14 day, quarantine in order not to weaken the health system. And they will return to hospitals even if they need to work with a mask, taking the necessary safety measures.”

This decision comes after Greece’s confirmed cases of coronavirus rose to 418 last night.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

SBS World News highlights The Greek Herald’s 100-year legacy

Australia’s multicultural media landscape has turned its attention to SBS News, which this week aired a feature on The Greek Herald.

Greek and Australian Ambassadors honour shared ANZAC and Cretan legacy

The Ambassador of Greece to Australia and the Ambassador of Australia to Greece have issued commemorative messages.

Cretan Federation leaders honour Battle of Crete legacy on 85th anniversary

Leaders of the Cretan Federation of Australia and NZ have issued commemorative messages marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Crete.

Tracking ANZACs from Australia to Crete through art

An artist-driven exhibition retracing the path of ANZAC forces during the World War II campaigns in Greece and Crete will open this month.

History, memory and geopolitics explored in Dean Kalimniou’s Pontus lecture

The Greek Community of Melbourne’s History and Culture Seminar Series continued on Tuesday evening with a deeply engaging lecture.

You May Also Like

Greece halts visa issuance in China, updates actions against coronavirus

The Hellenic Republic has decided to close its visa centers in Mainland China, thus stop receiving applications and granting visas, after the outbreak of...

Kalos Irthate exhibition extended after successful first weekend

The Kalos Irthate exhibition showcasing the Greek Australian migration journey successfully launched this past weekend.

Greece launches national strategy to tackle water crisis

Greece unveiled a new national strategy to address growing water scarcity, with officials warning of the escalating risks to public health.