SA tomato farmer Peter Petsios demands answers after biosecurity backflip

·

South Australian tomato grower Peter Petsios is calling for an inquiry and threatening legal action after the federal government abandoned efforts to eradicate the tomato brown rugose fruit virus (ToBRFV), a decision he says came too late to save his business.

Petsios, owner of SA Tomato, said the now-defunct eradication policy cost him $4 million, his health, and his 65-year-old family business, which has been shut for months.

“This is the worst thing that’s happened to me – it’s like a death in the family,” he said.

The virus was detected in South Australia in July 2023, leading to widespread quarantine measures and severe industry disruption.

Petsios said he and other growers had advocated early on for a virus management strategy, in line with international approaches, rather than eradication.

The tomato virus. Photo: Growing Produce.

“This should have been a one-week issue,” he said. “Common sense has finally prevailed… We want answers now.”

The federal biosecurity committee’s change in strategy followed the discovery of infected seedlings in Victoria that originated from a nursery in New South Wales — a state previously unlinked to the virus.

Petsios described the emotional and physical toll as immense, citing persistent health issues caused by stress. “I could have had a heart attack. I could have been dead,” he said.

Primary Industries Minister Clare Scriven said SA Tomato had received some compensation and was eligible for further reimbursement.

However, opposition MP Nicola Centofanti criticised the government’s “reactive” response, saying early transparency and consistent national policy could have prevented significant losses.

Petsios now intends to pursue legal action to recover damages, stating, “I’m gonna have to work right around the clock for the rest of my life to pay this debt off.”

Source: The Advertiser.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Dr Christos Theologos: ‘Dance keeps us bound to our roots, from Chios to Sydney’

As part of the Zeibekiko Festival Australia, respected folklorist Dr Christos Theologos will lead a series of lectures and workshops.

South Melbourne turns to supporters ahead of Australian Championship kick-off

The opening clash of the Australian Championship will be an event shaped by the voices of the fans themselves.

Low birth rates and ageing: The silent enemy of the Greek nation

From the late 1990s it had become clear to Greek demographers and social scientists that the number of births in Greece was falling.

Peta Trimis: The new star of Australian football with a Hellenic soul

At just 19 years old, Peta Trimis is already being hailed as one of the brightest young stars of Australian football.

A second chance at life: Angelo Alateras’ journey from mechanical heart to transplant hope

After years on life support, 80kgs lost, and 615 days of physio, Angelo finally received the gift of a new heart.

You May Also Like

Melbourne Greek woman left ‘heartbroken’ as armed police interrupt father’s funeral

A woman in Victoria has been left “heartbroken” after armed uniformed police officers interrupted her Greek father’s funeral over the Easter long weekend.

Australia extends ban on outbound international travel to at least March 17

International travel bans will remain in place until at least March 17 as the federal government sets out to extend its biosecurity emergency period by another three months.

Marcos Baghdatis says his Australian Open success tied to Melbourne’s Greek community

Former Australian Open finalist, Marcos Baghdatis, is back in Melbourne to compete in the Australian Open 2023 Legends competition this week.