SA man Harry Kapiris bins $1.1 million worth of tomatoes amid virus outbreak

·

Gawler River Tomatoes owner Harry Kapiris has thrown out at least $1.1 million worth of tomatoes and laid off 30 workers over the past week, after a highly-transmissible virus was detected in South Australia last month.

Tomato brown rugose fruit virus has been detected in SA and on Wednesday, the state government issued a complete ban on stock leaving three Adelaide Plains farms in a bid to eradicate it.

68-year-old Mr Kapiris told The Advertiser he made the “difficult decision” to cut his losses last week, with four states completely turning away fruit from positive sites.

Examples of fruit affected by tomato brown rugose fruit virus. Picture: Department of Primary Industries SA
Examples of fruit affected by tomato brown rugose fruit virus. Picture: Department of Primary Industries SA.

Mr Kapiris was unable to fulfil this season’s contracts and said the true cost of the quarantine could run into the $3-4 million mark.

While Mr Kapiris was not against the state government’s decision, he said compensation should be offered.

“At the end of the day, what happened to us wasn’t our fault,” he said.

“The biosecurity authorities are supposed to screen the seedlings that come in from overseas, so it looks like a bad batch has come through.”

Source: The Advertiser

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Body image in Greek Australian culture

The report highlighted that an estimated 4.1 million Australians aged 15 and over have experienced body dissatisfaction.

SoulChef Sundays: A taste of tradition with Katiki Cheese Pie

This week, SoulChef presents a lighter, contemporary take on a classic — without sacrificing authenticity or flavour.

Greek as always: Different languages, same ancient soul

We Greeks have always been adventurous people. The Minoans sailed the Mediterranean and traded exotic goods.

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

You May Also Like

Family of murdered British woman, Caroline Crouch, given temporary custody of baby Lydia

A Juvenile Prosecutor’s Office handed temporary custody of the baby of Caroline Crouch to her mother on Monday.

Christian groups express outrage over ‘Spear Jesus’ Mardi Gras photo

Christian groups have expressed outrage over a provocative Mardi Gras photo depicting a drag performer spearing Jesus Christ.

Cricket world goes nuts for Sam Konstas after stunning Boxing Day Test debut

Teenage debutant Sam Konstas stole the show with a scintillating innings that electrified the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Thursday.