Rhodes wildfires prompt Greece’s largest ever evacuation operation

·

Thousands of people have been evacuated as wildfires threatened homes and hotels on the Greek island of Rhodes, The Guardian has reported.

Initial police reports spoke of nearly 19,000 people evacuated preventatively, of whom 16,000 were transported by land and 3,000 by sea.

With strong winds and the flames at points reaching five meters, the Dodecanese Islands Police Directorate said the following villages and towns were evacuated for preventative reasons: Kiotari, Gennadi, Pylonas, Laerma, Lardos, Lindos, Kalathos Malona, Asklipio, Pevkos, Massair, Haraki, and visitors at hotels in these areas.

A video grab of the chaotic scenes as holidaymakers fled fires on Rhodes on Saturday. Photo: John Hughes/@hughesy_1985.

The fires had been burning for most of the past week in the island’s mountainous interior, but strong winds, high temperatures and dry conditions swept the flames towards the coast on the island’s central-eastern side.

The fire service said more than 200 firefighters and 40 fire engines were tackling the blaze, assisted by five planes and three helicopters, as well as firefighters from Slovakia drafted in to help.

Flames on Rhodes. Photo: Argyris Mantikos / Eurokinissi via AP News.

Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis is currently at the National Operations and Crisis Management Coordinating Center of Civil Protection in Athens, being constantly updated about the fire on Rhodes, and about efforts to house visitors to the island who have been evacuated.

Source: The Guardian.

Advertisement

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Advertisement

Latest News

Genocide mentioned in Victorian Parliament

The movement for the recognition of the Genocide of the Armenians, Assyrians and Greeks has gained momentum in Victorian Parliament this week.

Evzones to lead ANZAC tributes and cultural celebrations in Adelaide and Sydney

The Evzones will visit Australia from 23 April to 4 May 2025, participating in Anzac Day and a series of cultural events.

Consent education safe as Chanel Contos responds to Dutton’s ‘indoctrination’ pledge

Peter Dutton has pledged a Coalition government would review the national school curriculum to eliminate “indoctrination.”

Alexia Apostolakis joins Matildas as train-on player

Melbourne City defender, Alexia Apostolakis, has been called into the Matildas squad as a train-on player ahead of the upcoming friendlies.

Rugby chief Peter V’landys addresses speculation about his future

Peter V’landys, chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission and CEO of Racing NSW, has addressed speculation about his future.

You May Also Like

Greek Australian woman to miss father’s funeral due to border restrictions

A Melbourne woman will miss her father's funeral in Adelaide on Wednesday after repeatedly being rejected to travel.

TGH Exclusive: Angela Gerekou says Greece wants to attract more tourists from Australia

In the second part to The Greek Herald’s investigative special on the impact of COVID-19 on tourism in Greece, we spoke to Angela Gerekou.

A different form of aged care: Yvonne’s family commitment to her elderly Greek parents

In 2018, Yvonne, her husband Nicholas and son Jamieson moved back to the family home. It was, she said, the ‘right’ thing to do.