‘Provocative rhetoric’: Greek and Cypriot FMs slam Turkey’s oil drilling move

·

Greece’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Nikos Dendias, met with his Cypriot counterpart, Ioannis Kasoulides on Thursday in Nicosia. The pair accused Turkey of stroking tensions as Ankara prepares to drill for natural gas in the Eastern Mediterranean next month.

Last week, Turkish Vice President, Fuat Oktay announced the nation’s newly purchased fourth drilling ship, Abdülhamid Han, will start operations on August 9, maintaining that: “hydrocarbon resources in the Mediterranean are not the toys of Greek Cypriots.”

“We expect it to come,” the Cypriot Foreign Minister told journalists after meeting with Dendias.

In a statement, Kasoulides said the planned drilling was part of “a crescendo of harsh and provocative rhetoric” from Ankara.

Turkey, which doesn’t recognize Cyprus as a sovereign state, treats much of the island’s offshore economic zone as its own, claiming rights in many of the 13 blocks off the country’s southern coast.

“I want to assure you that we are always in constant and close coordination, particularly in the face of an attempt to create a new fait accompli both on the ground and at sea, in violation of International Law and the International Law of the Sea”, Dendias said in a statement following the meeting.

Pointing to Turkey’s expected drilling directly, the Greek Minister said: “European Union decisions are in force and we expect Turkey to comply with them.”

Both said there will be consultation with other EU members on how to respond if Turkey tries to drill for oil and gas inside Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone.

When Kasoulides and Dendias spoke on the Cyprus issue, they both compared events in Cyprus to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, but Dendias said the comparison ended there.

“Forty-eight years ago the international community did not respond to the invasion in Cyprus in the way it should have,” he said.

“And we have to remind all that the invasion of Ukraine is not the only case of invasion in Europe.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Burwood tower approved beside Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Sydney

A controversial 39-storey tower has been approved beside Sydney’s historic Greek Orthodox Saint Nectarios church in Burwood.

Greece tourism season faces uncertainty despite strong 2026 outlook

Middle East tensions and rising fuel costs are beginning to cloud Greece’s 2026 tourism outlook, despite optimism from Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

Cyprus warns Turkey’s ‘Blue Homeland’ law threatens regional stability

Nikos Christodoulides has called for a European response to Turkey’s proposed ‘Blue Homeland’ maritime law.

Australia gifts Greek PM commemorative coin marking 85 years since Battle of Crete

Australia has presented Greece with a commemorative coin marking the 85th anniversary of the Battle of Greece and Crete.

Panarcadians Mother’s Day luncheon honours the mother tongue

The Panarcadian Association of Melbourne transformed its annual Mother’s Day luncheon into both a celebration and act of resistance.

You May Also Like

Pope Francis, Greek President condemn conversion of Hagia Sophia into mosque

Greece's President, Katerina Sakellaropoulou, and Pope Francis, both condemned Turkey's decision to convert Hagia Sophia into a mosque over the weekend.

Peacekeeper’s vehicle wreckage arrives at Australian War Memorial from Cyprus

A destroyed UN Land Rover, which lay in the buffer zone of Cyprus for decades, has arrived at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

Newly restored Bourtzi Castle in Nafplio opens its doors to the public

Having undergone extensive restoration and maintenance, the Venetian Bourtzi Castle located on Nafplio has reopened to the public.