Trump pauses most global tariffs but hikes China rate amid market volatility

·

US President Donald Trump has announced a 90-day pause on his new “reciprocal” tariffs, just hours after they were imposed on imports from dozens of countries.

All trading partners—excluding China—will now face a baseline 10% tariff rate instead of the higher rates unveiled during last week’s “liberation day” announcement.

However, Trump simultaneously escalated tariffs on Chinese goods, increasing them to 125% effective immediately.

China had earlier declared its own tariff hike on US imports to 84%, up from 34%, set to take effect Thursday, April 10.

Trump said the temporary pause was prompted by outreach from more than 75 countries seeking negotiations and by their lack of retaliation.

“I thought that people were jumping a bit out of line… they were getting a little bit yippy, a little bit afraid,” he said.

The surprise move marks another twist in the escalating trade war, which has rattled global markets and diplomatic relations.

It came just days after the White House dismissed reports of a planned pause as “fake news.”

Markets responded swiftly and positively. The S&P 500 surged 9.5%—its biggest one-day gain since 2008—while the Nasdaq rose 12.2%, its second-largest session jump on record.

Trump acknowledged the market’s influence, saying, “The bond market right now is beautiful… I saw last night where people were getting a little queasy.”

Australia, already subject to the minimum 10% tariff, will see no change, though sector-specific duties like those on aluminium and steel remain.

Planned retaliatory tariffs from the EU have also been put on hold, pending implementation.

“Nothing’s over yet,” Trump said. “But we have a tremendous amount of spirit from other countries, including China. China wants to make a deal. They just don’t know how quite to go about it.”

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called the tariff strategy a “successful negotiating tactic,” adding, “We are expecting [our allies] to come with their best deal.”

Source: ABC.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece secures world’s 2nd best beach for 2026

Greece has earned major international recognition with four of its beaches ranked among the world’s top 20.

First Orthodox cemetery opens in Japan

To support the spiritual needs of the faithful, the parish priest announced plans to relocate a traditional wooden church from Romania.

Forgiveness (Cheesefare) Sunday: Preparing the heart of Great Lent

Forgiveness Sunday, also known as Cheesefare Sunday, is the final Sunday before the start of Great Lent in the Orthodox Christian Church.

Major restoration planned for Panagia Parigoritissa in Arta

Culture Minister Lina Mendoni described the church, dedicated to the Annunciation, as an outstanding late 13th-century Byzantine monument.

George Calombaris headlines expanded ‘Flavours of Greece’ line-up at Antipodes Festival 2026

Talking to the #LoveLonsdale stage across the festival weekend, Calombaris joins the growing 'Flavours of Greece' line up.

You May Also Like

Ariel Winter slices off tip of thumb while making Greek food

Ariel Winter took an unplanned trip to the hospital yesterday after slicing off the tip of her thumb off while making Greek food during lockdown.

‘Prayer for Makronissos’: Klearhos Murphy’s new music pays tribute to his great grandfather

Melbourne-based Australian Greek composer, Klearhos Murphy, has been named Young Composer of the Year by the WSO.

Australia’s Greek schools pump up hygiene measures to protect students

Greek schools across Australia have lifted their hygiene standards in order to reduce the potential risk of COVID-19 transmission.