Liberal Party reaffirms $4.5m commitment for Greek cultural centre in Oakleigh

·

Shadow Minister for Finance and the Public Service and Shadow Special Minister of State, Senator Jane Hume and Liberal candidate for Hotham, Harmick Singh Matharu, have reaffirmed the Coalition’s $4.5 million commitment to establish a Greek Cultural and Language Enrichment Centre in Oakleigh, following confirmation by Opposition Leader Peter Dutton earlier this week.

The investment will deliver a contemporary facility next to Sts Anargiri Greek Orthodox Church, creating a vibrant hub dedicated to preserving language, celebrating heritage, and strengthening community connection within Melbourne’s Greek Australian population.

“This project is about honouring heritage and investing in the future,” Senator Hume said.

“The Greek community in Oakleigh has shaped the local identity, and this centre will give generations to come a space to learn, celebrate, and pass on their traditions.”

Once completed, the centre will support cultural programs, language classes, community gatherings, and creative development—all within a purpose-built space that reflects the Greek community’s contribution to Australia. The Oakleigh Grammar school community will also have access to the facilities, strengthening the connection between education and cultural identity.

Harmick Singh visiting Oakleigh Grammar classroom
Harmick Singh visiting Oakleigh Grammar classroom.

Senator Hume said the commitment recognises the lasting impact of Greek Australians on the nation’s multicultural story.

“Greek Australians have played a foundational role in shaping our modern multicultural identity. Their values – of family, enterprise, and community – reflect the best of what Australia stands for,” Senator Hume said.

“Supporting this centre isn’t just about recognising the past – it’s about building a future where those values continue to thrive.”

Mr Matharu added, “Oakleigh deserves a permanent home for its rich cultural life.”

“From Orthodox Easter celebrations to the Oakleigh Glendi festival, this centre will strengthen community ties and provide a space that reflects the values of tradition, family, and aspiration.”

The project reflects the Liberal Party’s strong support for Australia’s migrant communities and the enduring role of Greek Australians in the national story.

“We will deliver this project with respect and pride,” Mr Matharu said. “Because this isn’t just about bricks and mortar – it’s about recognising the story of a community that continues to enrich Australian life.”

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Greece moves to secure rare photos of Nazi execution in Athens

Rare photographs believed to show the final moments of 200 Greeks executed by Nazi forces in 1944 have surfaced online.

Keon Park crowned champions of 2026 Women’s Greek Community Cup

Keon Park SC has been crowned champions of the second Women’s Greek Community Cup, defeating Brunswick City SC 1–0.

Greek women speak: Secrets shared, raw truth revealed at Melbourne’s Greek Centre

At the GCM Greek Centre, silence broke. Greek Women Speak, a symposium by Koraly Dimitriadis, tackled subjects migrant families avoid.

Scholars’ Assembly celebrates academic excellence at St Spyridon College

St Spyridon College held its annual Scholars’ Assembly on the morning of Friday, February 14, celebrating outstanding academic achievement.

Food For Thought Network to hold global online event for International Women’s Day 

The Food For Thought Network (FFTN) has announced a special International Women’s Day online event on 8 March 2026.

You May Also Like

Panathinaikos falls at the first hurdle of the Greek Super League

The new Super League season kicked off this weekend with Panathinaikos beginning its campaign with a reverse on the road.

Greek Community of Melbourne celebrates its 124th anniversary

The Greek Community of Melbourne and Victoria celebrated its 124th anniversary this year but events were postponed.

Alleged AN0M drug trafficker Michael Theoharis denied smartphone access

Michael Theoharis, software developer facing 21 drug trafficking charges linked to the AN0M app, has been denied access to his smartphone.