Joe Biden drops out of US presidential race

·

US President Joe Biden is ending his re-election bid and pulling out of this year’s presidential race.

The 81-year-old made the bombshell announcement in a letter he posted on social media while isolating with COVID-19 at his home in Delaware.

He has thrown his support behind Vice-President Kamala Harris to replace him as the party’s candidate.

“I want to offer my full support and endorsement for Kamala to be the nominee of our party this year. Democrats — it’s time to come together and beat Trump. Let’s do this,” he said.

In his letter, Biden said it had been “the greatest honour of my life to serve as your president.”

“While it has been my intention to seek re-election, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as president for the remainder of the term,” he said.

Biden will address the nation on his decision later in the week.

Harris has since released a statement calling Biden’s decision to end his re-election campaign a “selfless and patriotic act.” She said she intends to “earn and win this nomination.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph.

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

Parliamentary first as FIFA Oceanic Professional League honoured in Victoria

A historic milestone for Australian and Pacific football was marked at the Victorian Parliament on Thursday, February 19.

St Andrew’s Theological College looks to the future at start of new academic year

A Doxology marking the start of the new academic year at St Andrew’s Greek Orthodox Theological College was celebrated on February 18.

Where do Greek Australians stand? Public forum to tackle sovereignty, republic and identity

The public forum will examine questions of Indigenous sovereignty, republicanism and the place of Greeks within Australia.

Pontian Australians issue open letter to Greek PM over Kemal remarks, deportation case

The Federation of Pontian Associations of Australia has issued an open letter to Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis.

$1.5 billion redevelopment approved for former Danias Group site in Marrickville

A $1.5 billion redevelopment of a former Danias Group site in Marrickville has been approved. Read more here.

You May Also Like

Australian Hellenic Council thanks Michael Sukkar MP for supporting genocide recognition

The AHC expressed its deep gratitude to Michael Sukkar for his unwavering support in advocating for genocide recognition.

Ancient Greeks a connection of the past to the future: National Museum director, Mathew Trinca

National Museum of Australia director Mathew Trinca talks to TGH about the 'Ancient Greeks' exhibition and how the community has embraced it.

Former Greek foreign minister Petros Molyviatis dies

Petros Molyviatis, a veteran Greek diplomat and close associate of statesman Konstantinos Karamanlis, died on Sunday, May 4.