Patricia Karvelas to host Q+A program after Stan Grant steps away

·

Stan Grant announced on Monday that Patricia Karvelas will take over as the host of ABC program Q+A, while he is taking an indefinite break from journalism after experiencing racist abuse.  

In the final minutes of last night’s Q&A program, Grant said he was stepping away to focus on his mental health after a torrent of hateful messages had taken a toll on him and his family.

“To those who have abused me and my family, I would just say — if your aim was to hurt me, well, you’ve succeeded,” he said. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I must have given you so much cause to hate me.”

Grant said that although he is down right now, he is only stepping away, not stepping down.

“I will get back up. And you can come at me again, and I will meet you with the love of my people. My people can teach the world to love,” he said.

Karvelas used Twitter to share the importance of Grant’s words in the final show.

“I urge you to listen to these words. You don’t have to react – respond. Just let them sit with you,” she said.

Grant’s final appearance on Q&A before stepping away comes after he accused the ABC of “institutional failure” in his weekly column last week.

He said the organisation did not publicly defend him amid a storm of racist abuse since appearing as a guest as part of the ABC’s coverage of the coronation of King Charles.

Source: ABC

Share:

KEEP UP TO DATE WITH TGH

By subscribing you accept our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Latest News

The power of scrap paper: A soldier’s Battle of Crete journey resurrected

Anthony’s journey into the stories of Crete’s wartime past began with a discovery linking his family to the Greek-ANZAC alliance of WWII.

Sydney’s best Greek restaurants for an authentic Mediterranean feast

Sydney’s Greek dining scene is thriving, offering everything from classic souvlaki to elevated Mediterranean feasts.

Andrew Cochineas sets Mosman record with $50 million mansion purchase

Andrew Cochineas and his wife Lisette have emerged as the buyers behind Mosman’s record-breaking $50 million mansion sale.

Greece unveils its first humanoid robot for factory work

Greece has taken a step into advanced robotics with the creation of the country’s first domestically developed industrial humanoid robot.

Pontic Greek genocide to become part of Cyprus school curriculum

Public schools across Cyprus will officially teach and commemorate the genocide of the Pontic Greeks.

You May Also Like

Greek government rewards whistleblowers for identifying unclaimed inheritances

The Greek government has announced that public interest informants (whistleblowers) will receive a reward for revealing unclaimed inheritances to the Finance Ministry.

Gold Coast cabaret figure Tony Rigas bankrupt with $1.5 million in debts

Gold Coast nightlife figure Tony Rigas has declared bankruptcy after debts of more than $1.5 million. Read more here.

Joanna Charaktis selected as match official for the U-17 Women’s World Cup in India

Joanna Charaktis has been appointed as an AR, alongside Lara Lee and Casey Reibelt who were appointed as VAR in the U-17 Women's World Cup